Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Joe Morgan should be shot

sublime, we get it. you don't like joe morgan. move on.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Joe Morgan Watch

Joe Morgan sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's someone who has way too much time on their hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe so, but here's another (better) one:

Link
Old 08-12-2005, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, I'm not sure SLG is more important than Avg. Sure, AVG is not a very good stat by itself to measure a player's hitting ability. However, SLG is relatively poor as well. AVG is a large component of both OBP and SLG, thus player's with high Avg's will tend to have a high OPS.

Of course, RBI's should be at the top of the list, with HRs next probably. But SLG could possibly be the 3rd least important stat out of the 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

???

Team SLG correlates with RS better than either AVG of OBP, because there's a high correlation between SLG and OBP.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Joe Morgan Watch

Joe Morgan sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's someone who has way too much time on their hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe so, but here's another (better) one:

Link

[/ QUOTE ]

i read fire joe morna every day. hilarious stuff, although i think this man may attempt to kill joe someday.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Actually, I'm not sure SLG is more important than Avg. Sure, AVG is not a very good stat by itself to measure a player's hitting ability. However, SLG is relatively poor as well. AVG is a large component of both OBP and SLG, thus player's with high Avg's will tend to have a high OPS.

Of course, RBI's should be at the top of the list, with HRs next probably. But SLG could possibly be the 3rd least important stat out of the 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

???

Team SLG correlates with RS better than either AVG of OBP, because there's a high correlation between SLG and OBP.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha. Team SLG? How about Team RBI? That will have the best correlation.

I might be wrong about SLG, but just seems to me if it's HALF as important as OBP, and AVG is a major component of both OBP and SLG, that maybe AVG is a little more important.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

???

[/ QUOTE ]

I might be wrong about SLG, but just seems to me if it's HALF as important as OBP, and AVG is a major component of both OBP and SLG, that maybe AVG is a little more important.

[/ QUOTE ]
OBP>SLG>BA
Old 08-12-2005, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

???

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
OBP>SLG>BA

[/ QUOTE ]

well gee, I make an argument for average and I get this airtight defense of SLG.

Jack's probably right about the correlation thing, since players with high SLG will tend to have high OBP's. But the reason that players with high SLG tend to have high OBPs (or the main one at least), is because AVG is a part of SLG, so high SLG = high AVG = high OBP.

It's average that ties the two together, mainly. It's also probably true that players with high SLG have a tendency to walk more.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

???

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
OBP>SLG>BA

[/ QUOTE ]

well gee, I make an argument for average and I get this airtight defense of SLG.

Jack's probably right about the correlation thing, since players with high SLG will tend to have high OBP's. But the reason that players with high SLG tend to have high OBPs (or the main one at least), is because AVG is a part of SLG, so high SLG = high AVG = high OBP.

It's average that ties the two together, mainly. It's also probably true that players with high SLG have a tendency to walk more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... not, not really. I mean, yeah, sorta, but not really.

This can be seen when you look at positional averages. The average 2B and LF have the same average, but LFs outshine them in isolated discipline and isolated power...

I really don't know what you're trying to say. Average is more important than SLG? That's like saying HR are more important than TB. There's such huge variance between IsoD and IsoP among players that it makes avg almost devoid of value when determining the worth of a player.

But you know this, I know you know this, and you're saying something that's confusing me.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and you're saying something that's confusing me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confusing myself thinking about it, so I'll give up now.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:03 AM

Funny thing about Joe, he was such a great player & IIRC Bill James said he was the "smartest" player ever. Funny how Joe's apparently the chief anti-Moneyball-er. And, yes, the Oakland Coliseum is a terrible HR park. RoidsGwire mighta hit 61+ his rookie year in another park.

I have dim memories of enjoying Morgan's game commentaries but I haven't listened to any sporting events other than golf w/the sound on for years and years now.

Dunno about baseball but IMO the most overrated statistic, by far, is team yards gain/allowed in football. Points, points, anyone? Most underrated is prolly +/- in basketball, tho how can a stat be underrated if its not even kept? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]