Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 01:38 AM

Default Re: books for nl ring games

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i just bought Small Stakes Hold em and Hold em Poker For advanced players. Don't do what i did if you don't want to play limit. I have two awesome books for limit, watch me kick some .5/1 ass

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/b]P.S. I can't play NL but I lurk here to feel cool[/b]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 08-12-2005, 02:22 AM

While we're on the subject, I just started reading Super System today. Should I even bother? Most of the advice is geared towards a different game. I'm worried it might screw up my game. A lot of the plays he suggests won't work at SSNL. Should I still read it?
Old 08-12-2005, 02:27 AM

another poster spoke of this earlier (forgot who), but they brought up that it is de-valued quite a bit since at the low limits online, you don't have nearly enough fold equity you need to be pickup up as many pots as doyle does, bet thing you can do is just make value bets.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:37 AM

Bah, the FYP doesn't work any more now that he changed his loc.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:52 AM

First, next time ask this question here : proper forum

If you need a course in ABC no-limit try HOH. Its great book for that purpose.
If you need some deeper ideas about the game buy Ciaffone&Reuben potlimit & nolimit poker.
Super System is interesting but you certainly shouldnt apply all advice to SSNL. ITs certainly useful read to get some ideas.
If you need to spew some money buy "Mastering no-limit holdem" it certainly wont improve your play.
Currently there is no book (HOH qualifies a little for that) which teaches you to play NL like SSH teaches you to play limit. Books are good only to pick up some ideas which you could not think about yourself. Maybe it will change in near future.
Few more comments :

[ QUOTE ]
i just bought Small Stakes Hold em and Hold em Poker For advanced players. Don't do what i did. I have two worthless books now.

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy doesnt know what he is talking about. If he bought these books hoping for NL advice he is sadly a moron because its not too hard to find some reviews of above mentioned books in this forum.
I think you should consider buying at least one of these books. They are very good for your overall understanding of poker and it is what counts in no-limit.
But no of these books should be your priority for sure.

[ QUOTE ]
"Mastering No-Limit Poker" by Russell Fox (published by ConJelCo)is written with the focus on beating small to medium , restricted buy-in NL ring games.

[/ QUOTE ]
As I said before you should avoid this book even if somebody offers it to you for free.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
While we're on the subject, I just started reading Super System today. Should I even bother? Most of the advice is geared towards a different game. I'm worried it might screw up my game. A lot of the plays he suggests won't work at SSNL. Should I still read it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't try to play exactly the way he plays at SSNL, but I think there's still some useful information in the book. The important ideas I took from his book were to avoid overplaying hands that will probably either win a small pot or lose a big one (so called "trouble" hands) and to play more hands that you can get away from easily but that you could potentially win a lot from if you hit (i.e.suited connectors).

Also, I've found that if you pick your spots carefully, even at SSNL you can win a lot of pots when you don't have anything but neither does anybody else (I probably wouldn't try going all in with an inside straight draw if someone raised me though).
Old 08-12-2005, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll put you allin for $9.50 just doesnt have the same ring to it as $20,000. I would read this book to augment your play after you already know solid ABC+TAG.

Also SS assumes your opponents are paying attention to how you are playing...I assign this trait to a solid 15% or so of SSNL players.