Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Flop raise

I really don't feel that the lack of a flop raise is that much of a mistake in this hand. If we put one of the villains on a single high heart there are only 7 hearts left in the deck (1 of which makes me a straight flush). Odds of him improving on one card are relatively slim so I dont mind waiting until the turn to raise here, since a lot of players will still call without odds on the turn.

Another reason why I dont think a raise is necessary is that I wont go broke if a 4th heart hits. Sure I threw a few bucks into the pot, but I am not going to give any action, so villain has no implied odds against me in this hand.

Sly
Old 08-10-2005, 03:17 PM

If he'll call the turn with a naked heart he'll call the flop with a naked heart. Pot-raise the flop. Pot the turn.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:22 PM

What do I do if he re-raises the flop? I dont think I want to go broke here, and this will be putting me to a tough decision that could be Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or could be something like A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] x.... I will have no way to know which and will likely make a big mistake if I raise the flop.

On the turn I dont think many players are aggressive enough to check-raise with the naked Ah, so if I am re-raised I feel that I can safely fold.

Sly

PS. I more often than not do raise this flop, just putting in my case why I think calling is fine too.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he'll call the turn with a naked heart he'll call the flop with a naked heart. Pot-raise the flop. Pot the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain is not the only potential source of money here; isn't there an argument to be made for keeping in the other guy for an additional bet or two? That's a rhetorical question; of course there is.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:16 PM

Default RESULTS....

I think for a long time on the river and finally check it through. The villain's cold call OOP really scared me on the turn and I thought there was a very high chance of him having a flush also. I thought the other likely hand was A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] x .... which wouldn't call a bet from me anyway. At the time a bet seemed -EV.

Villain flips over a very passively played 2nd nuts with Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and my hand is no good.

Sly
Old 08-10-2005, 11:58 PM

Default Re: 76 sooooted flops flush

first, i often raise those flops.

second, yes, ABSOLUTELY, value bet that river unless you have some tell of him.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Odds of him improving on one card are relatively slim so I dont mind waiting until the turn to raise here, since a lot of players will still call without odds on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea, you can wait until the turn to make him call without odds, or you can just raise the flop and make him call two bets without odds. Which one do you think is better?

[ QUOTE ]
Another reason why I dont think a raise is necessary is that I wont go broke if a 4th heart hits. Sure I threw a few bucks into the pot, but I am not going to give any action, so villain has no implied odds against me in this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
So... you didn't raise the flop because you were going for pot-control with a flopped flush? That is VERY weak.