Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 12:53 PM

Default Re: 1st hand, lots of action

I think you need to raise that flop with everyone in the world in the hand. Either c/r to 100-125ish or lead for 60.

The turn is strange. Your flush outs are almost definitely no good (unless the other draw(s) fold, which they may). MP3s raise is friggin scary in this context. He is giving everyone in the world odds to chase their draw. Maybe he has 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or is an idiot with something like AQ or a set. I don't know but I don't like his mini-ish raise one bit. meh, this spot just sucks. It sure looks like MP3 has a better made hand and there are bigger flush draws out, but maybe MP3 just has something like Ax [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and is a moron. The way you got there I don't think any of your options are particularly good or bad, pushing is probably better than calling since it may get better draws out. Folding is not that awful here I think. Meh, I hate it when I get myself into one of these spots.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd raise the flop. Try to get rid of bloody straight draws, I think you're beat on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

straight draws don't really concern me too much. only if someone has J9 and an 8 comes. if i get reraised, i have to get the chips in, and then i'm coinflipping for my stack with only a small overlay on the first hand. blech.

i might've folded the turn with no flush draw, but here i have 13 outs to improve, and my hand might be best. that'd be a tough fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes no sense to me: You don't want to coin flip on the first hand for your whole stack on the flop, but you don't mind getting your money in when you may be drawing dead. There is not that much dead money in the pot, and you could have as few as zero outs here. I'm not saying that pushing the turn is wrong, but on the flop you likely have 14 outs and two streets to catch one of them if you get played with (and if you only have one opponent when the dust clears 9 is the absolute fewest outs you will have, though a set has redraw potential). At any rate, you are almost defintitely in better shape if you get all your money in on the flop here than on the turn.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:06 PM

It isn't awful, even if you are behind you have quite the re-draw.

I would do the same.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and you could have as few as zero outs here

[/ QUOTE ]

well i didn't think i had zero outs [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

my point was that if i get reraised on the flop, i'm not very happy about it. on the turn, i thought there was a reasonable chance that i would push, everyone would fold to the turn raiser who would have either TPTK or a flush draw (more likely one pair). it may not have been a good decision but it's not like it's inconsistent.

results: turn raiser has J9 for turned straight and the first caller on the turn bet also calls for KsJs (open-ender+bigger flush draw).
Old 08-09-2005, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

results: turn raiser has J9 for turned straight and the first caller on the turn bet also calls for KsJs (open-ender+bigger flush draw) but I rivered a full house so all was good.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP (I hope [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])
Old 08-09-2005, 01:32 PM

I would fold the turn. Seems like you're not likely to be ahead and even if you hit either a full-house or flush draw you could still easily lose to a higher full-house or flush.