Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Nasty NL book rumors

[ QUOTE ]
...no book as even close to touched Theory of Poker. And the only way a "competitive" book would come out after six months is if a very smart person read it and tried to adapt and extend upon it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm reading TOP for the second time. I was a beginner when I read it the first time and I thought I understood it pretty well. I was wrong. I am now struck by the realization that even the best books I have read since then (SSH, WTOHP, HOH) are good because they include restatements, extensions, clarifications, and examples of the ideas in TOP. Great as it may be, I expect the same will be true of this NL book.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ed recently posted that is was NOT comming out in September but did not specify when the it would be released...

[/ QUOTE ]

By the way, the book is going to blow people away. I have utter confidence that there will be no "competitive" book coming out before or within six months afterward

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Ed,

A quick question.

To what game level will the book be aimed?

For instance I would say that alot of SSHE could be applied from microlimits right upto some of the higher full ring online games.

Will that be the case in the NL book?

[/ QUOTE ]

Think of this book as "The Theory of No Limit Poker". It's not aimed at any type of game, just as TOP isn't aimed at any type of game.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Think of this book as "The Theory of No Limit Poker". It's not aimed at any type of game, just as TOP isn't aimed at any type of game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Ed. I'll stick it on my christmas list for santa [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2005, 07:55 PM

Default book IS coming

with all due respect i believe they are still planning on writing one. it got pushed until after the 2nd book they are working on. however, things could change. if they do, i am sure it will be a 2+2 book.

as far as competition (ed miller's comments aside), i think there is room for 2 good nl cash game books. now that the harrington robertie book was pushed back because they wanted to write something else 1st, i think the two will be at least 6 months apart.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:38 PM

I hope you are right Ed. Mason pimped HoH II as a book that would...
[ QUOTE ]
cause a sensation because of it's discussion of what the authors Dan Harrington and Bill Robertie call "Inflection Points."

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe it fell short of causing a sensation. Anyone playing SnGs and reading the STT forum regularly was already aware of this. You said yourself that... [ QUOTE ]
several HUNDRED THOUSAND people are going to read the book. The concepts of tournament poker are not going to be as obvious to every one of them as they are to you.

[/ QUOTE ] SSH on the other hand did cause a sensation, even for regular small stakes players.

I guess what I am wondering is, will the new NLH book cause a sensation among 2+2 regulars or just the general public?
Old 08-08-2005, 08:53 PM

since ssh was great and ds's books have been great, we all expect you to write another great book. however, i believe there is room in the market place for 2 terrific nl cash game books. i look forward to buying yours.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:40 PM

So by no limit poker poker do you mean that it will be just as helpful for the less popular nl games like lowball or omaha as it will be for hold'em?
Old 08-09-2005, 06:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ed recently posted that is was NOT comming out in September but did not specify when the it would be released...

[/ QUOTE ]

By the way, the book is going to blow people away. I have utter confidence that there will be no "competitive" book coming out before or within six months afterward in the same way no book as even close to touched Theory of Poker. And the only way a "competitive" book would come out after six months is if a very smart person read it and tried to adapt and extend upon it.

Just a little Sklansky-esque bravado to whet your appetite.

[/ QUOTE ]

does that mean you are actually going beyond ABC?
Old 08-09-2005, 01:56 PM

hi ed,
in your opinion, how much of this book will present new concepts vs. codifying existing concepts? really looking forward to reading it.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Ed. I'll stick it on my christmas list for santa [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife asked me if I wanted this book for Christmas (as I've been talking about it for a while). I told her NO!!! I would have read by then.