Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 05:51 PM

Default Re: Should I have gotten the point...

One thing to consider is whether a cap will do exactly what you don't want it to do, which is slow down villain, and put you in a position of putting in extra bets when way behind.

If you cap, villain will check a bunch of hands that beat you. I just wonder whether the three-bet is all the information we need.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you cap, villain will check a bunch of hands that beat you. I just wonder whether the three-bet is all the information we need.

[/ QUOTE ]

bet/fold the turn, check/fold the river. there's no shame in giving in to aggression and waiting for a better hand.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:10 PM

As you played it it's a tough one. Folding the turn is probably best.

I think I would call the flop in this hand and raise any non-club, non-Ace turn. I might get a little confused if an offsuit Q or K comes too, but I may very well still raise it.

Also, we get to watch more action on the turn. If it goes bet, raise we can get away cheap although that seems unlikely to happen without a K,Q or A dropping.

As it is, if SB has a baby flush draw or even worse, a flush draw with an overcard and MP has two overs we're not gaining much at all by raising the flop. Basically you and the SB are each making about 40% of MP's call (this is assuming SB and MP just call your flop raise)

If you raise the turn on a safe card SB is going to have a really hard time 3 betting you without a monster so you can fold to a 3 bet and take your free showdown as I want to get to showdown with my tens on this board with that draw there.

I'm not writing very clearly at the moment but I think it may be better to wait and raise a safe turn here.

-WT
Old 08-08-2005, 07:48 PM

I think this 3-bet by Villian is for his information a majority of the time not necessarily because he has a better hand here. Yes we could very well be behind to AJ or JJ(I don't know how agressive he is to cap JJ PF. Many don't feel it is a strong enough hand). I think if he does have JJ (or any set) he would have waited untill the turn to open up or he would have C/R the flop or he would Bet/Call the flop and C/R the turn. Point being if he has a set we are screwed, but his aggressive flop play puts doubt in my mind.
Now I think AJ could be very likely as he wants to find out on the cheap street if you 3-bet PF W/77-TT/AK or QQ-AA. Of course he could also hold AK/AQ/77-TT and is just trying to represent the J and see if he can push you off 77-TT/AK.

So I think there are three ways to play this:
#1 - Just fold to the flop bet and move on. (This seems kinda weak to me folding to one overcard HU and could cause others to take shots at you) Cost= 0BB, but image issues are a big concern.

#2- Call/Call/Call the whole way letting him bluff away. (there are 47 combos of AK,AQ,77-TT) Cost= 2.5BB

#3- Raise/Cap the flop. Fold turn if lead into or Bet/fold. Take free SD on river. (There are 22 combos of JJ,AJ) Cost= 2-3BB. I also don't like folding to the flop 3-bet for the "bullseye" reason Deranged gave.

Even though there are double the bluffing combos in #2 I prefer line #3...I think [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Our hand is too vulnerable to more overcards falling so letting him bluff away can be risky. There is the slim chance of getting AJ and even moreso TT to fold. We put out some good anti-bullseye advertising.