Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Hit 2 pair on river -- now what?

[ QUOTE ]
Just call.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-08-2005, 05:42 PM

J9o, 98s, these are the types of hands that people with a 31% VPIP open-limp from MP. The reason you shouldn't play hands like Q9s from EP or call raises with them is that it is as you said an easily dominated hand. But when everyone save one loose limper has folded to you on the Button, it is no longer a dominated hand, and folding it would be playing way too tightly.

-Brian
Old 08-08-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My only other comment would be that I'm not thrilled with the pre-flop call, though I would make it sometimes if I have a good handle on my opponents (namely, if I'm playing live and not online).

[/ QUOTE ]
So you're suggesting raising this PF?

Just call the river. A lot of better two pairs could be out there.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My only other comment would be that I'm not thrilled with the pre-flop call, though I would make it sometimes if I have a good handle on my opponents (namely, if I'm playing live and not online).

[/ QUOTE ]
So you're suggesting raising this PF?

Just call the river. A lot of better two pairs could be out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is that this hand is really not that good and I think there are plenty of other places to get my money in, unless I have a feeling I'll be able to win this hand a significant portion of the time unimproved.

If I am going to play this, I probably prefer a raise, but in that case I'm doing it as a complete power play against specific players.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:55 PM

I call although I don't think you are good very often here.

My guess is that MP has a better two pair (like QJ) or better and SB has A-x for top pair. Without hitting your kicker you have an easy fold on the river. Perhaps you still do when MP, who seems passive post-flop, bets again. Maybe I am just not good enough to lay down two pair here. In the Party $2/4 game I think it is tough to lay down, but I really don't think your hand is good very often here. Still, since MP is so loose pre-flop he could have a worse twopair like Q5s or J5s so I call.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
J9o, 98s, these are the types of hands that people with a 31% VPIP open-limp from MP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure what you meant to say was that these are the lower end of what a 31% VPIP open-limps with. With a 5% PFR, they could limping with anything from AJo down to J9o. If Q9s is in the upper half of what a 31%er will limp with, it's not by much. If you think they'll play fit-or-fold and the blinds are pretty tight, maaaybe there's a raise here.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:09 AM

Default Re: Hit 2 pair on river -- now what? RESULTS

SB had J5 for two pair on the flop. MP had AA for a flopped set that he slowplayed.

I really didn't think the preflop call was going to generate any conversation. I'm tighter than most (trying to loosen up a bit), but even I think Q9s on the button after a loose MP limper is at least an easy call and I can see raising. SSH says to play it, HEPFAP says to play it. If you're folding Q9s on the button after weak player(s) limp in, you're really too tight.