Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 11:10 AM

Default Re: The Bubble

FWIW, regarding hand 8, I thought about the idea of you pushing pre-flop. Then I remembered that I have had absolutely ZERO success re-raising in these spots the past few days (even with good hands).

I would've just folded pre-flop on hand 8. Sometimes a little patience with the chip lead on the bubble is the best course of action. It's one thing being the first in the pot, but these guys don't seem to fear the bigstack re-raises like they "should".
Old 08-08-2005, 11:12 AM

Yes I fold hand 8 too especially as it's the next biggest stack.. I don't want to give him ANY chips that brings him even REMOTELY closer to my stack..
Old 08-08-2005, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes I fold hand 8 too especially as it's the next biggest stack.. I don't want to give him ANY chips that brings him even REMOTELY closer to my stack..

[/ QUOTE ]

That was EXACTLY why I played it like I did. He doesn't want to bubble when there are much shorter stacks than him. I should have realized, though, that he's not folding when he bets half his stack on the flop.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:16 AM

Fair enough, but if you want to achieve this, you should probably push preflop, rather than give him the chance to hit the flop, and waste 400.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:26 AM

I'm going to state the obvious, it looked like you shot yourself in the foot on hand #8. Other then that everything looked standard via the 10BB. Do you ever vary from the 10 BB rule? Just curious, still learning to play the SnG.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:58 AM

Durron, I get to give you some advice for a change [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I have not read any other reply's yet, so I apologize if there is any redundancy.

IMO...
Hand 8 (57o) - why push? you should have respected his raise, your hand sucks...
Hand 18 (98o) - why call, I thought optimal bubble play is to push in the right spots or fold??? again your hand sucks
Hand 20 (2nd hand 20) (57o) - why play, BB almost has to call and I doubt you have the best hand, b/c again your hand sucks?
Hand 22 - it does not matter what you have b/c your FE is practically gone.

I posted a bubble thread a while back where I was learning about the bubble (still am). So advice I got was once you're in good shape you need to stop risking all of your chips... too much to lose, little to gain... you never adjusted. 2nd point, when you make mistakes early on, you get yourself in trouble later on b/c you become less of a threat (i.e. they learn that you're pushing w/ garbage and you have less chips so they will likely call if their hand is reasonable)... looks like you were tilting a little
Old 08-08-2005, 12:02 PM

Hand 8 was T5s. I don't like Hand 18's call but it was to increase the chances of knocking SB out, I guess. Which is fair enough, but I just prefer to let BB get on with it with a marginal hand. Hand 20 is a definite push and is unexploitable even if the BB calls with 100% of hands. ICM it and you'll see, curtains explained this in a post of mine when I folded in a similar situation.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 8 was T5s. I don't like Hand 18's call but it was to increase the chances of knocking SB out, I guess. Which is fair enough, but I just prefer to let BB get on with it with a marginal hand. Hand 20 is a definite push and is unexploitable even if the BB calls with 100% of hands. ICM it and you'll see, curtains explained this in a post of mine when I folded in a similar situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how to ICM it, but I don't get why you give away money when you have crap! At some point they make a stand and it is often around 2xbb
Old 08-08-2005, 12:07 PM

hand 8 flop is more then fine, pre is bad you dont really wanna play pots keep stealing..
Old 08-08-2005, 12:26 PM

Hand 8 was played pretty poorly imo. You are facing the 2nd stack while sitting on the big stack. There is nobody extremely short so he might not be thinking about folding his way into 3rd. If he is weak-tight typically and the "have to see a flop before I put my chips in" type of player then just push back at him. If he has shown himself to make ridiculous calls in any way though you should just let this hand go.

In hand 18 I say save the 600 chips and let the two stacks race.

Hand 21 is marginal but I tend to fold in situations like these. I would prefer to save myself the 1.5xbb for fold equity in pushing UTG or from the button. In the long term though it is +EV though. It is just that 7 high versus a very probable call is no bueno.

I'd push hand 21 like it was nobody's business though.

I think your mistake in hand 8 though led to this series of events. You got pretty unlucky though.