Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 11:28 PM

Default Re: Stud/8 - Do you play it differently?

Interesting to me that most people don't like the 3rd st raise. If 4-5-6 with all the As, 2s, 3s, and 7s being live isn't a raising hand, then I don't know what is. Do you guys wait for 3-4-5 suited to raise?

Anyway, my raise on 4th representing 4 to a low, 4 to a str8 is standard, and usually most decent players with hi-end only hands are gonna fold. I know I do when a raising low hand catches perfect on 4th and all I have is a high pair. If he calls, well no prob, I'm still a decent low draw and could very well take high with 2 pr or hit trips.

Fifth is strange indeed, but at this point I've a very scary board, 2 pr, and still plenty of low cards left in the deck. I've still got plenty of scoop opportunities. Again, I raise with my board almost instinctively...so I didn't stop to think about why in the world he would be into my hand.

On 6th I've got a tons of scoop outs: all 4 sevens for a str8, 3 fours and 2 fives for the boat. That's 9 cards in the remaining 38. Another 12 cards: 4 aces, 4 dueces, 4 tres, saves me from being scooped. All total, 21/38 cards are "outs".

As happens often, I hit one of the "awwwww man!" cards.

Although I knew I was beat, I called on the end for information.

He was rolled. I'm not sure that really excuses his bet on 5th, but oh well. Good for him. I ended up taking ~200 off of him in two later pots before the night was over [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2005, 12:47 AM

Default Re: Stud/8 - Do you play it differently?

456 is a raising hand. The thing is, you want multi-way action, and confronting people with two bets cold tends to discourage, rather than encourage, action.

Even if the Queen hadn't completed in front of you, I would still probably only call because of the Ace right behind you. If you make it a full bet, the Ace might well raise, and again you are confronting people with two bets cold.

If the Queen had completed and then two or three people had called in between, I would usually raise with 456. With more people between me and the Ace, I would be more inclined to make it a full bet if the Queen had just called. 456 is a raising hand. I just don't think that this is a raising situation.