Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2005, 05:27 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: Push here no matter what?

With Queen-high and it's folded to me, I probably would've pushed here as well, unless:

There were many other short-stacks who were likely to bust before the blinds hit you again.

But, with 16 players and only 10 getting paid, I'm assuming that wasn't the case. Both you and the BB are both in trouble at this point, but if you get away from this hand you gain the button and a few more hands.

Still, nothing wrong with a push here, I would put that as the best move given your hand. I might fold something weaker though, really depends.

I'd probably push suited connectors 9-high or better, or hands with a face card in this spot.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He is down to 7000 anyway. Fold equity doesn't really matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

It matters some. Do you want to make someone call 5K into a 15K pot, or 7K (or 4K or 2K) in an 8K pot?

Sure, the BB should call with virtually any hand due to the min raise, but at least in this situation he has a small amount more folding equity. If he folds, he has zero, because whoever the BB is must call any 2 cards for 2K more.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He is down to 7000 anyway. Fold equity doesn't really matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

It matters some. Do you want to make someone call 5K into a 15K pot, or 7K (or 4K or 2K) in an 8K pot?

Sure, the BB should call with virtually any hand due to the min raise, but at least in this situation he has a small amount more folding equity. If he folds, he has zero, because whoever the BB is must call any 2 cards for 2K more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I got my math screwed up because when I pushed, it was a raise of 7K. So the BB had to call 7K to win a pot of 17K. Still, he had the odds to do it and my stack, at 9K remaining, was not enough to get anyone to fold to an all-in.

btw - I was the short stack at the table, so everyone could fold until it got back to me.