Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2005, 09:13 PM

Default Re: Cool optical illusions

[ QUOTE ]
pairtheboard, you are incorrect. they are the same color.

compliments of dynasty

[/ QUOTE ]

If you guys are messin with me I'm gonna be pissed. Otherwise this is very strange.

On the Dyanasty Link, on his RHS image with the Bars added, if I gradually cover everything on my screen surrounding the Two Patches they finally come to look identical. But if I do the same thing with the LHS immage the patches continue to look just as different as before I construct the mask around them. Evidently my MEMORY of the scene around them is strong enough to continue to Force the Illusion. But on the RHS, my memory of the bars is enough of an aid to counteract the rest of the scene.

Most Bizzare. To be completely convinced I need to have someone else construct the physical mask for my screen and let me come in and look at the isolated patches with an unbiased eye.

This was a pretty cool illusion from that Dynasty Thread.

Where's the guy go?

PairTheBoard
Old 08-06-2005, 09:36 PM

dude. its the same color. save the image and open it up in photoshop and use the color picker tool. you are a strange man.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
dude. its the same color. save the image and open it up in photoshop and use the color picker tool. you are a strange man.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok. I got out my scissors and cut patch size holes out of one big piece of paper so I could cover the screen All At Once and VIOLA. I can finally see they are the same color.

But what's really weird, is if I use various pieces of paper to slowly cover the surroundings of the two patches they remain different colors. Evidently, as I am covering the surroundings bit by bit I keep looking at the patches and my mind keeps telling me they are different colors. Even after I cover the last remaining bit of surrounding screen my Mind continues to insist they are different colors. Very strange.

But I am finally convinced by the All At Once placement of a complete mask over the surroundings. Hurray.

This one's gotta be good for some proposition bets.

PairTheBoard
Old 08-07-2005, 12:04 PM

Anyone who wants to learn about the biological/cognitive basis for these illusions can have a look at this.

and more specifically, this one
Old 08-07-2005, 12:34 PM

A similar but perhaps more important question: What does Procol Harem mean by “A Whiter Shade of Pale”?

Btw, wasn’t it also Procol Harem that figured out the meaning of life?: “Life is like a beanstalk, isn’t it?”