Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Flop decision w/ AKs, play along

Villan figures you're stealing, so 3-bets you to defend. You cap. He soils himself. Then checks the flop. You bet, he folds, next hand.

(Did I mention that Villan isn't very smart?)
Old 08-05-2005, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Villan figures you're stealing, so 3-bets you to defend. You cap. He soils himself. Then checks the flop. You bet, he folds, next hand.

(Did I mention that Villan isn't very smart?)

[/ QUOTE ]

then how would he think that hero is stealing? either way, idiots will not fold this to a flop bet, esp if they are willing to 3-bet with their hand pre.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:00 AM

Here is my plan.

I bet the flop checked to me.

If check-raised I call. When bet into turn, I fold UI and raise improved.

If called on flop, I check behind UI on turn or fold if bet into UI on turn.

Don't know if it is the right line, but taking GrunchCan up on his challenge.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
then how would he think that hero is stealing? either way, idiots will not fold this to a flop bet, esp if they are willing to 3-bet with their hand pre.

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesn't. He just recognizes the pattern from something he read somewhere. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

But, seriously, I don't know why he wouldn't fold this. Put yourself in Villan's shoes, you were capped preflop and now you're being bet into on a queen-high flop. What do YOU do if you're holding anything but AA/KK/QQ?

Betting here might get you the pot. Might get you a free turn card. Might get you check-raised, in which case you have a pretty easy fold on the turn UI. Checking it through, on the other hand, gets you bet into on the turn, regardless, and what are you going to do then?
Old 08-05-2005, 11:14 AM

if you bet on the flop and aren't check/raised, don't take the free card on the turn whatever it is. fire again...ooop maybe i'm a step ahead of "play along", but i figure you've got to have a plan for the next step to play this street...
Old 08-05-2005, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm confused, how are you going to get a free card on the turn out of that?

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason is that we capped preflop and he checked the flop. This shows weakness.

I can't see why everyone is so quick to assume we're going to get check-raised here. He couldn't have known we'd cap when he 3-bet PF, so maybe he's worried about our hand. If he thinks his big hand is better than our big hand, why doesn't he just bet? We already showed that we like our hand.

I think this might be "RFPS" - reverse fancy play syndrome (oo, can I coin a new phrase? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]) Why do we assume an unknown villain is some sort of super tricky guy? It could very well be he hated us raising him on the flop, he reraised us to show who was boss or to bluff us, and then realised what a tard he was when we capped it.

This is Party .5/1. People do this crap regularly. The pot is big, we need to give ourselves the best chance of winning it, not run into a corner and check behind at the first sign of trouble. He's probably not going to fold, but we can give ourselves the chance to see two cards for the price of one, which gives us the best chance for winning the pot at the best price.

If he check-raises, call and fold the turn UI. You've spent only 1 more SB. If he donkbets the turn, well, that's the way it goes - this is about maximising your chances of taking the pot, not about coming up with a line that is 100% guaranteed to work - which is quite impossible.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:24 AM

ure trying to assign logic to a guy who just capped and checked. unless he has QQ this makes no sense.

play your cards, you have ace high and its HU. a free card most likely helps you more than him. semibluffs are great and all, but i think they are way overused in the micros. and if you want to bet for value, its a thin bet at best.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

ure trying to assign logic to a guy who just capped and checked.

[/ QUOTE ]

We capped, not him.

[ QUOTE ]
a free card most likely helps you more than him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two cheap cards are better than one free card and a fold.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:34 AM

Have to agree Bozlax...I don't understand the logic of call raising PF. Happens to me sometimes, but I never see them turn AA,KK,etc. I think some of these idiots think it's some kind of 'Exotic Super Play' or something. I bet into him here as well and call a raise. See what turns. Probably bet into him again on 4th street if checked again.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:38 AM

my mistake, i read ops last sentence. but either way, he lrred and then checked. it seems pretty stupid to me.

for a guy who likes to do this pre, id prefer to straight value bet. i just dont think there is any indication that a free card play will work here.

but fwiw, if a blank hits the turn and he checks, its an easy bet.