Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Yet another \"first time live\" report: The Taj in AC

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The guy gave me two racks of 1$ chips, so 200 chips, I sat down and everybody looked at me, I then noticed that nobody had much more than a hundred in front of them and nobody had more than 20-30 1$ chips, so I guess I really looked like a newbie right away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was there two weekends ago and sat down with $180 in white and the dealer gave me grief about it. Other players at the table chimed in on my behalf though, asking why she cared how much I had. They probably thought I was going to be nice and fishy. I usually buy in for around 30 BB, and that's the first time I ever got grief for it -- though I've only played live a half dozen times, so maybe over time I'll get ragged on more for it. I just don't want to have to be bothered with rebuying if I start out on a downswing.

Maybe next time I'll get one stack of red and 4 white to cut down on the number of chips, even though their sign at the cashier specifies "buy only white chips for 3-6".

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I saw the first time, so when I gave my money to the cashier, he asked what I wanted, I said I was playing 3/6, that didn't seem to be a satisfying answer to him, so I then said whites and that's what I got.

But the other times, I just bought it for 100$ and when I told the cashieres I was playing 3/6, they gave me a stack of white and 80$ worth of red. when my stack got low, I put an extra hundred in paper on the table. It seemed like it was what most people were doing.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was told the caliber was pretty good, even at 3/6, but I didn't expect it to be this fantastic, it was really loose and really passive

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 08-08-2005, 04:25 PM

The red chip/white chip/AC topic is sort of a running theme on here. Suffice it to say I'm of the opinion they use WAAAAAY too many $5 chips in AC low-limit games, and you don't need to worry about looking like a newbie. I was running stacks of red back to the Borg's cage and trading them for racks of white to sell to the table. Making change where 6 players limp with a red for $3 is just an absurd drag on the dealer's time. One, fine, two, OK, but the whole table can't use reds to play $3/6 because -- newsflash -- THREE ISN'T DIVISIBLE BY FIVE! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Count me thoroughly on Luv2's side now.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe next time I'll get one stack of red and 4 white to cut down on the number of chips, even though their sign at the cashier specifies "buy only white chips for 3-6".

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, that sign is ridiculous. there's no reason not to have reds at 3/6, there's no reason not to buy in for $200 if you want to, and there's no way i'm sitting down with two racks of chips at this game.

the cashier doesn't even look at you funny when you ignore the sign. it's all good.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The red chip/white chip/AC topic is sort of a running theme on here.

[/ QUOTE ]

whoops. didn't know this was the case.

well, i just meant that you shouldn't let the sign stop you from getting what you want, and i get both reds and whites for this game because i just think all whites is absurd for 3/6.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:37 PM

$100 in each is reasonable. But when I get to fewer than 5 whites left, I ask the dealer to chop four reds to a stack of white between hands -- I'm slowing the game down maybe 1/4 as much (every $20 instead of every $5).

Just don't let Luv2 know I said that. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]