Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 12:18 AM

Default Re: 14 more marines dead ...

You, as well as niss, are implying that if the administration had planned better, these marines would be alive. You don't know that. So what this boils down to is using these boys' deaths to attack the administration for something you can't possibly prove true. I would imagine that the families of these men would be righteously indignant at the use of their sons/siblings' deaths to attack Bush (who most likely voted for Bush).
Old 08-04-2005, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And I responded appropriately to your insulting suggestion that nobody should ever talk about the deaths of our soldiers and the war in which they died in the same breath because doing so is "politicizing" their deaths. Ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]
You misunderstood. We should talk about their deaths. We should remember their sacrifice. But please, for their sake, don't turn this into a "we need to leave Iraq now" thread. That's where I fear this is going with your opening post. You started with "14 marines died" and ended with "shame on the admin". You're using their deaths to take a shot at Bush. If you had an ounce of decencey, you'd stop now.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's you that misunderstood then. Nowhere did I say anything about leaving Iraq. I don't think leaving is the right answer. We made this mess and we need to clean it up. But that's a different issue from sending soldiers into a war without adequate preparation and equipment, problems which seem to continue through today. And meanwhile the administration is concerned with whether we should call it a "war on terror" or a "global struggle against violent extremism". I don't care what they call it. They should spend more time figuring out ways to protect our soldiers. The willingness of a good chunk of the American population to accept these deaths without much noise is most concerning.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:23 AM

Default I Second

And the winner of the 'nothing-new-to-contribute' award goes to...niss.
Seriously though, in what way should the U.S. react to such news? Turn tail and run? Hoist the white flag?
Perhaps, in memory of the spirit of these heroes, you could refrain from politicizing their deaths...
Bingo! This post captures my reaction to the original post.
I find the tone of the OP to drip with moral superiority. It is as if he was trying to imply he is the only one sadden by the soldiers deaths. Then of course comes the implication it is Bush's fault. No mention of the draconian military cuts by Clinton which left our armed forces too small. No mention that is was Bush that started rebuilding the military that was dangerously low on munitions. Clinton did not want to restock munitions because he wanted to artificially make the govt surpluss numbers look better.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:27 AM

Cut the crap. If you have nothing to contribute, then keep quiet.
Typical liberal. He is against free speech by those with opposing views.

I thought he made a VERY GOOD contribution.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:33 AM

Default Re: I Second

[ QUOTE ]
And the winner of the 'nothing-new-to-contribute' award goes to...niss.
Seriously though, in what way should the U.S. react to such news? Turn tail and run? Hoist the white flag?
Perhaps, in memory of the spirit of these heroes, you could refrain from politicizing their deaths...
Bingo! This post captures my reaction to the original post.
I find the tone of the OP to drip with moral superiority. It is as if he was trying to imply he is the only one sadden by the soldiers deaths. Then of course comes the implication it is Bush's fault. No mention of the draconian military cuts by Clinton which left our armed forces too small. No mention that is was Bush that started rebuilding the military that was dangerously low on munitions. Clinton did not want to restock munitions because he wanted to artificially make the govt surpluss numbers look better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it does. That's because you are a Bush apologist.

Let's take your statement of Clinton's supposed "draconian" military cuts. Assume that's true. If our armed forces were "too small" to fight this war, THEN WHY THE HELL DID BUSH SEND THEM IN THERE? Did he send soldiers into Iraq purposefully to die? Was he thinking that maybe if he crossed his fingers, casualties would be reduced?

Of course, I don't agree with your depiction of Clinton's military cuts and I don't agree that the military was "too small" to fight this war. The point is that your arguments are, and continue to be, specious at best.

Of course, it's Clinton's fault. It's all Clinton's fault.

And if expressing my sadness and frustration at the continued deaths of our soldiers constitues "moral superiority", then yes I am superior to you, and I will be until the day we die.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's you that misunderstood then. Nowhere did I say anything about leaving Iraq.

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't say you did. I said I didn't want this thread to turn into that.

[ QUOTE ]
But that's a different issue from sending soldiers into a war without adequate preparation and equipment, problems which seem to continue through today.

[/ QUOTE ]
Reminds me of Gene Hackman in Crimson Tide when he says (roughly) "You don't always fight battles when everything is hunky dory." Battle plans often don't survive the first engagement with the enemy.

[ QUOTE ]
The willingness of a good chunk of the American population to accept these deaths without much noise is most concerning.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've asked you before what the "American population" should be saying. You dodged the question. Instead, you've used the deaths of these men to attack Bush. I asked you politely to not do so, but you seem hellbent on it.

My point is, if you want to start another thread regarding our occupation of Iraq, I would appreciate it if you didn't use these men's deaths in a political attack.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cut the crap. If you have nothing to contribute, then keep quiet.
Typical liberal. He is against free speech by those with opposing views.

I thought he made a VERY GOOD contribution.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a "typical liberal" because I don't like that our soldiers are dying and nobody is questioning it?

I nominate your post for dumbest post in the history of the 2+2 forums.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you had an ounce of decencey, you'd stop now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. A Bush supporter appealing for "decency". That's the funniest thing I've read all day.

q/q
Old 08-04-2005, 12:40 AM

Default Re: I Second

And if expressing my sadness and frustration at the continued deaths of our soldiers constitues "moral superiority", then yes I am superior to you,
Well, at least he admits it.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My point is, if you want to start another thread regarding our occupation of Iraq, I would appreciate it if you didn't use these men's deaths in a political attack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your continued attempts to characterize questioning the deaths of our soldiers and the ongoing "war on terror" -- or is it a "global battle against extremism", I forget -- as a "political attack" are distasteful and are rejected. Good night.