Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 09:42 AM

Default Re: Hello,Jorge! 6 months of poker play is NOT ...

[ QUOTE ]
Ever think about playing limit? Less bankroll needed, and perhaps less swings. And probably more fish than PL, but I cannot say for sure as I don't play PL very much(except Omaha Hi/Lo on occassion)

[/ QUOTE ]

More bankroll is needed for limit - and the variance is higher... stick to big bet if that's what you're good at. Also, because it would be catastrophic to lose your bankroll, stick at $1/2 until your bankroll reaches about 12k - then move up to $2/4. 30-buy-ins should be sufficient for you at that level. You can start to play once in a while at $2/4 if the games look good and your bankroll is over 8k, but I wouldn't before that.

Also, I'd stay in school and treat it as a part time job. Take less classes if you have to, but school is well worth it. Leave yourself outs...
Old 08-04-2005, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ever think about playing limit? Less bankroll needed, and perhaps less swings. And probably more fish than PL, but I cannot say for sure as I don't play PL very much(except Omaha Hi/Lo on occassion)

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly incorrect. If I want to make $20/hr playing poker, I can do it with less variance at NL/PL than limit, easily. Of course, some games have more variance, like Omaha High. But within the same game, variance will be less on the Big Bet side.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:53 AM

Staying in school is a no brainer and you seem to have that part figured out which is good. What I would recomend is this. [censored] homework 100%. Spend as much of your free time as you can playing cards, hanging out with your buddies, and making love to women. As long as you pay attention in class and get papers in on time, you'll do fine in school, make money, and most importantly, have a lot of fun. Could be bad advice, but it's worked for me so far [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2005, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Poker for a Living

Go to school and play poker part-time.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Poker for a Living

Your long-term prospects are likely to be much better finishing school than playing poker.

I'd stay in school and keep playing part-time. Keep playing the games you enjoy most and are best at. Move up as soon as you have the bankroll and feel you can beat the game. you'll need a smaller bankroll and have less variance playing PL vs. Limit.

-g