Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 02:29 PM

Default Re: Why is eveyone here so anti-religious?

[ QUOTE ]
so when he got to 11 and didn't have to go, he said to himself, 'any god who needs to have kids beaten in order to worship him is no god I want a part of'.

[/ QUOTE ]

So he attributes to God the actions of some low level functionaries? Does he think anyone who believes in God is suddenly made a perfect human being?

If someone who shared his views punched him in the nose, would he feel compelled to come up with a new set of beliefs?

And what about you?
Are you saying that your beliefs have been defined by the decades old reasoning of an 11 year old?

What an excellent method to establish a family's belief system! [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If someone who shared his views punched him in the nose, would he feel compelled to come up with a new set of beliefs?

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't come up with new beliefs, he went to church because he would be beaten otherwise, I'm sure there are countless others of his generation who think they deserved beating and are now followers of the one true Catholic god. The fact is these people are all evil paedophilc, child beaters, they don't have a single ouch of decency between them, how can anyone justify beating a child for non attendance of church. Its just sick.

[ QUOTE ]
And what about you?
Are you saying that your beliefs have been defined by the decades old reasoning of an 11 year old?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was allowed to make my own choices, if I wanted to go to church I would not have been stopped, if I ever meet god I might belive in him, also I'll say hi for you and tell him you aint such a bad guy just a little confused. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Regards Mack
Old 08-03-2005, 03:15 PM

I go to far, hating all Catholics is as dumb as hating all muslims.

Mack
Old 08-03-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so when he got to 11 and didn't have to go, he said to himself, 'any god who needs to have kids beaten in order to worship him is no god I want a part of'.

[/ QUOTE ]

So he attributes to God the actions of some low level functionaries?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, sorry - your post just reminded me of a couple of quotes:

"This Crusade, this War on Terror..." - George W. Bush
"I believe that God wants me to be President" - George W. Bush

Like you, I refuse to attribute to God the actions (or words) of some 'low level functionaries'.

I am a practicing Catholic and I am proud of my faith. I am not against religion, just zealotry. Jeez, the republican party kills a hundred thousand innocents and all the sudden they think they have the religion market cornered?
Old 08-03-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, sorry - your post just reminded me of a couple of quotes:

"This Crusade, this War on Terror..." - George W. Bush
"I believe that God wants me to be President" - George W. Bush

Like you, I refuse to attribute to God the actions (or words) of some 'low level functionaries'.

I am a practicing Catholic and I am proud of my faith. I am not against religion, just zealotry. Jeez, the republican party kills a hundred thousand innocents and all the sudden they think they have the religion market cornered?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are the kind of Catholic I could get used to, those quotes and the hypocrisy within them are what scares me about the so called 'religious right', then they will have the bare faced cheek to say the other group of nutters (terrorists) are perverting Islam for their own objectives.

Best Regards Mack
Old 08-03-2005, 04:22 PM

Everybody likes to sh.it on Atheists. I think that if we're going to do that, we need to understand the difference between an Atheist and an Agnostic. I think that their is a very important difference myself, in that the Agnostic believes in a higher power/authority but does not put a name or faith to it. An Athiest, in my opinion, has a harder time understanding the philosophies of religion, and an easier time denouncing all religions.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:38 PM

First, let me start out with I was raised a Methodist but am now Agnostic.

I’ve been around a lot of faiths though friends, girlfriends etc, and my biggest problem will most organized religions is their money angle. One of the biggest of these is the Catholic Church, where they hoard billions in real estate and art treasures yet are always looking for more money. Not that the others are much better, and I hope there is a special place in hell for clowns like Jim Baker, Oral Roberts and their ilk.

I think that if Jesus, Mohammed, Buda, God, or whatever deity or messiah you believe in came to earth and showed up at their door, the major religious heads would have a lot of explaining to do.

But I’m not anti-religion. I think George Carlin summed it up with “Religion is like a lift in your shoe, if you need it fine, if you don’t that’s fine too. But don’t force me to wear your shoes and let’s not go around nailing lifts to the feet of the natives.”
Old 08-03-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is eveyone here so anti-religious?

[/ QUOTE ]Professional poker attracts and rewards the reality-based versus the faith-based.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is eveyone here so anti-religious? Whats eveyones fixation of trying to prove all religions are voilent. It would seem like an empty life without any type of religious belief. I'm not a huge religion guy by all means, I barely go to chuch. But this forum is just filled with people who hate religion. People talk about all the killing and crusades that religions produce. But I believe an argument can be made that more killings and violence is produced by non religious people. Religion is also a loose term, for this arguemnt I'm not talking about people on the extremist side of any type of religion. It seems people here define each religion based on the people who abuse the religion because thats what they hear. You dont see news stories on TV about good christians, or good islmaics so people tend to think religion is full of extrimists and people trying to seek voilence. I'm not on some preacher here to get people to believe in a religion, I'm just trying to find why people here aren't remotely religious and are so determined to offend every religion possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe in God. I feel that spirituality is helpful in life. The problem is, spirituality is not what religion is concerned with primarily- it's concerned with it's own girth. The major religions seem like entities unto themeselves concerned with feeding their size and power above all else. This could never be the goal of a benevolent God- it is a goal of men disguising themselves as God's messengers.

There is no way that one of the major religions is right and the rest of them are wrong, so they are all wrong. That is, none of them should be taken literally. Islam and Christianity are no more Truth than Zeus is the name of God.

That said, people who are anti-religious zealots are just as dangerous and harmful as the religious kind.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is eveyone here so anti-religious?

[/ QUOTE ]

False premise.

q/q