Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Convince me to play 6-max

There are a lot more loose players in the 6 max games. I know you have to loosen up, but 45 % vp$ip and 22 % pfr is still much too loose, and these stats are common on the 6 max tables up to 400 nl for what I know.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:24 AM

I just play 6-max. If I look at the top ten players for the past month (in terms of net winnings) 3 of them have VP$IP above 40% (the highest is 85% and the lowest is 16%). Preflop raise percentages for this elite group range from 3 to 46 percent (half the guys are over 10). Sample sizes are not large (68 to 1,600) hands which affects our determination of whether they are long term winners more than the VP$IP and PFR percentages. That said these are typical numbers for winners.

The bottom line is that I think a range of playing styles work well for 6-max games and that you can definitely be a big winner with 40%+ VP$IP and 20%+ PFR if you are skilled at post flop play.

Passion
Old 08-03-2005, 11:27 AM

When you are loose aggressive before the flop you have higher variance, you should check who have lost the most too.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When you are loose aggressive before the flop you have higher variance, you should check who have lost the most too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not going to disagree with this. Of course the more money you put in play the bigger variance your going to have. I'm also not advocating playing this way - I'm simply making an observation that many winning players do.

Of my 10 biggest losers for the month (the 10 biggest) all but 2 have VP$IP numbers in excess of 40% and all but 2 have PFR percentages below 20 (the other 8 are in the 10s). The two PFR % that are over 20 are 20.x and 23

From these two basic measures it would be very difficult to tell who was a winner and who was a loser. That is to say there is no clear pattern to the play of winners and the play of losers at least as far as VP$IP and PFR goes. In other words - a variety of playing styles seem to do well and not so well.

Passion
Old 08-03-2005, 11:58 AM

More hands=More desicions=More profit, assuming you are a winning player. Also more rakeback.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sample sizes are not large (68 to 1,600)

[/ QUOTE ]
Sample size of 1,600 is tiny and quite useless to determine if someone is winning or not.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
More hands=More desicions=More profit, assuming you are a winning player. Also more rakeback.

[/ QUOTE ]

I get more hands/hour playing full ring because I can play more tables comfortably (see earlier post).
Old 08-03-2005, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sample sizes are not large (68 to 1,600)

[/ QUOTE ]
Sample size of 1,600 is tiny and quite useless to determine if someone is winning or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is not that what I said. Average PFR and VP$IP numbers offer pretty solid estimates after only a few hundered hands though.

I don't care how many hands you have - you would be hard pressed to find one playing style that does better than others at 6-max and particularily you will never convince me that thre are not some very good players that are 40+/20+ (VP$IP/PFR). I have been playing at nearly 40+/20+ for a long time with lots of success. I

Passion
Old 08-03-2005, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I mostly play full ring NL but 6-max seems to be far more popular (based solely on the 3:1 or greater ratio of 6-max to full ring tables on Party where I do most of my playing). Give me some good reasons to change.

[/ QUOTE ]

1 good reason is simply:

more tables = better table selection

It's pretty simple to find many juicy tables at 6max.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also have trouble getting the correct balance of tightness and aggression necessary for a 6-handed table.

[/ QUOTE ]

this balance is very difficult to achieve, and changes from table to table. You have to know when and where to play back, when in an aggressive game.. and how to nut-peddle in some games.

Image is also huge in these games. The degree to which other players are playing marginal hands against you directly correlates to how much crap youre playing against them (and you will have to play crap for money at times). You have to constantly adjust for how others are playing which makes it a much more dynamic setting.