Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 03:22 PM

Default Re: andy b book question

[ QUOTE ]
The third, and best, possibility is that stud will gain in popularity among the many new HE players and there will be plenty of room for both our books.

[/ QUOTE ]

the crypto sites seem to have less and less players every day. tough to get a full 2/4 game going most of the day. there used to be a few of them going at peak times.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:29 PM

wait ... an advance?

So you just rocked up to a publisher, said "got an idea" and they said "we'll give you x amount to write it"?

Is this how it works?
Old 08-05-2005, 11:30 AM

My agent did it. I've got one poker book in print (The Pocket Idiot's Guide to Texas Hold'em), another due out in Feb. '06 and a book on stock picking due out in Feb. '06 as well.

The size of the advance a publisher will pay relates to how many books they think they can sell. In the case of stud, they see it as a small niche, so the advance offered was much less than for either of my hold'em books.

I'm starting to wonder if the poker boom hasn't basically extended the life of a dead game, and that stud will be pretty much all the way gone ten years hence.

Hope I'm wrong.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm starting to wonder if the poker boom hasn't basically extended the life of a dead game, and that stud will be pretty much all the way gone ten years hence.

Hope I'm wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems like the “Holdem boom” did awful damage to Stud and Omaha (to a lesser extent). However, I think the longer us more recent poker converts play, the more we’ll want to expand our repertoire of games.

Not sure if I’m at all typical, but I started out as a Holdem baby and have since branched out into limit and pot limit Omaha/8, Stud and Stud/8. I’ve also dabbled in Razz, Ace to five and Deuce to Seven Triple Draw Low-ball.

I’d play more of these last three if the games were more available.

Limit Holdem is my least favorite game right now and I would probably stop playing if that was the only thing available.

I can’t speak to B&M card rooms, but online I would be surprised if Stud didn’t start gaining back some ground. It may always (foreseeable future) be a niche game compared to Holdem, but I don’t see it dying at all.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:55 PM

One thing I really wonder about is whether the cash no limit games that are so popular now will continue to be as widespread in future. In NYC clubs, where I mostly play live, limit hold'em has greatly diminished while 1-2 n/l is the basic game everywhere. Sitting with some of the old limit fishes, they get gutted way faster and way more brutally in n/l than in limit -- makes me wonder how long the games can keep going. Last night I sat with a bad-playing 4-8 limit regular in a 1-2 n/l game. He dropped $900 in 3.5 hours. In a comparable limit session, he might have dropped 1/3 as much.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:06 PM

Yeah,
A typical bad player calling to much in limit costs himself fractions of a bet at a time. A typical bad player that calls to much in a NL game costs himself many many many BB per bad call.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:45 PM

Television has provided NLHE with an incredible allure, other games seem to pale in comparison.

I assume the popularity of NLHE will parallel the ratings of televised poker. To some (perhaps a great) extent, the fate of the games appears to rest in the hands of the TV industry.

When the public moves on, I’d expect those games to dry up overnight.

The interesting question is whether the poker boom will simply bust or find an equilibrium that maintains an increased popularity for years/decades to come. If the latter becomes the case we might see some interesting evolution take place.