Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 02:41 PM

Default Re: AKo/A8s/T8s/KJs/QQ -- Some big hands

I"m surprised at some of the repsonse on the
A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] hand and the T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] hand.

Why are you guys advocating raising the former and slowplaying the latter?
Old 08-03-2005, 02:47 PM

Nothing represents more strength than capping preflop and checking a high-card flop.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:35 PM

I'm torn on the T8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] one. The issue is obviously not protecting our hand, since no better diamond is folding, but worse ones may (though a lot of 3/6 players will call with worse ones all the way). You may get people with middle pair and a low diamond or middle pair a gutshot or a straight draw to stick around for 1 bet, but not 2.

It does suck when someone has a set or two pair or a high diamond that they will call 2 cold with (or reraise with), so I guess the question is do they have hands that will put in more bets more often than ones that will call 1 bet but not 2 (and often make second best payoff hands)? I don't feel like doing a total analysis here, but given loose-ish players at 3/6, it's probably fairly close.

The A8 is probably fine either way. The overcard is going to be enough to give you a decent equity edge if one person cold-calls (since you are about even money with just a flush draw), although I don't know that the raise, on its own, would clean up an A often enough to be profitable for that reason alone, since you will get cold-called by worse hands anyway, may as well get some value along with that, but calling to induce overcalls isn't bad either I feel.