Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 07:16 PM

Default Re: steal [censored]

Anything but check-calling this flop is bad, in my opinion. Check-raising the flop is odd. In order for that play to attain its maximum value you will need to follow through with a turn bet in order to realize the full fold equity. And that means possibly putting in way too much money in on the turn.

The danger in this hand is that you end up blowing a lot of money on worthless semi-bluffs. Just because you have a hand that contains a draw doesn't mean it will be a profitable semi-bluffing hand.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:52 PM

Im check-calling on the flop. Now, say you, for whatever reason, wanted to throw a few bets in on the flop...then take the line of bet/call on the flop, bet/3-bet on the turn. (I dont advocate the bet/call on the flop here, but only point it out as a better alternative than a check-raise, which is not good...bet/call is still an bleh line to take, but in the times u dont care about bad timing and still want to be aggressive it will save u from getting threebet.). Either way, no one is folding the flop.

SO best flop line, check/call. Feisty flop line: bet/call. Getting threebet on the flop check-raise would suck. Besides the flop, I like it.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:34 PM

I like the flop c/r. Especially against this opponent.

Button is weak/tight per the read. Meaning he probably would be capable of laying down TT or JJ after being check/raised on this flop. Hero's representation of the A is also very believable after he open-raised, even from the CO. "Any ace" is a very common PFR in that situation. Besides which, the c/r goes a long way towards disguising Hero's draw, as you can see by the turn action when Hero actually did hit.

Those saying that a flop c/r will "only" shut down KK or a similar hand are forgetting that just because Hero flopped a 4-flush, that does not mean he's going to hit it every time and lose bets from a KK because of the c/r. If he can get a weak/tight opponent to lay down an underpair and drag the pot without hitting, that's a very good thing.