Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Review my strategy for the $10+$1s.

[ QUOTE ]
QQ, I'm just done with it at the $11s in the early levels...

[/ QUOTE ]

QQ is a freaking monster... especially at the 11s where the fish call with crap.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:48 PM

I find a 2/3rds bet on a flop is better than a min bet, and usually only about 60 more chips, even late game. Especially if you put a 5 chips on the end, like I do. (I have an autohoteky script to work out exactly what 2/3rds of the pot is) It's funny, but they seem to take a 165 bet more seriously than a 160, for instance..? YMMV though
Old 08-01-2005, 08:31 PM

There are more people online now, let's see if this bump creates any more action...?
Old 08-01-2005, 08:41 PM

"For QQ, if you get action with it, you're looking at AK, AA, KK."

This just isn't anywhere near the truth. You will get calle from all kinds of crazy hands. Some people at the 11s just can't let go of pock pairs higher than 5s. I think you are losing lots of value being to afraid with QQ.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:54 PM

Well I just moved to Empire and am playing the 11's and I will try to give any advice that could be warranted.

1. If you are in the blinds and late position with AK and there is a raise and several calls (2+) in front of you, push. Most of the time they will fold and you will take down a nice pot.

2 .If you have QQ I would suggest getting all your money in preflop if you can.

3. Stop N Go's are a very very useful tool at the 11's. So many of those players HAVE to see a flop before they fold that I will stop n go any time I am 100% confident that I will get called by pushing preflop and my hand isn't strong enough to withstand 5 possible cards (55-99).

4. I drink and play poker all the time. I think I play way better once I've had a beer or 2 to loosen me up. Everybody is different though.

5. "Don't under/overestimate your opponent, don't think about them, just play your game" - if you aren't paying attention to who the calling stations are that you should avoid pushing against than you are going to have your steals busted where too often.

"QQ-77: Limp from every position, always call min-raise, call 2xBB more (if someone made it 45 to go after you limped for 15) if the action closes on you. Call more with QQ, JJ - but nothing over 4xBB. Otherwise fold. Play for set/overpair value, just like AA, KK. If you hit (set/overpair), bet the pot (or push (especially with the smaller pairs (77-TT)) if the board texture is dangerous (flush/straight draw), and bet less if its benign (milk'em). When you hit your set, you will get called an amazing number of times when you push on the flop if the pot was raised PF."

I'm not a big fan for your 1-3 level strategy. Open pushing AA-KK is -EV in my opinion. I would just raise 3xbb and push versus a re-raise. Limping with QQ preflop in levels 1-3 is also pretty leaky IMO. I raise with JJ in LP. I would also suggest avoiding calling out of position with 77-99 and "always calling min-bets". The stacks aren't too deep.

Again if you are folding QQ preflop to action at the 11's you are losing money.

A better line would be calling with any pp in LP when there are limps in front of you.

Not raising with AK/AQ in EP in level 3 has to be leaky.

I dunno, this is probably just general guidelines for how you play but this seems way to formulaic too me.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:07 PM

L1-L3, your strategy really is way too weak-tight. I'm sure you can win with it, but I'm also sure that you're going to make more by raising and reraising QQ, and shoving it hard.

You're going to make a lot of money limping 22 behind a single limper from any position. You're going to make a lot of money raising AQ from MP, raising AK from all positions, limping a whole bunch of hands in CO/Button behind multiple limpers.

3 limpers to you in CO L1, and I'm limping anything that looks ok. You can play K9 here for a profit. You can play Axs here for a profit. You can flop 2 pair and take someone's stack.

Also, this helps you learn postflop play, which can be more important HU. You're going to be able to stack people much more often, you're going to pick up chips, and that has to be good.

Also, L4-ITM is not about hard and fast rules. It's about a series of factors, that dictate your hand strength:
Position/# of active players left (pushing from the SB is 10 times better from pushing in the CO, but this factor diminishes the farther from the button you get)
Your stack size
Opponent's stack size
Opponent's calling ranges

A combination of these factors will decide for you what is a profitable push, and what is not. You're looking to steal, you're looking to pick up chips.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:05 PM

A combination of these factors will decide for you what is a profitable push, and what is not. You're looking to steal, you're looking to pick up chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm actually pretty good with post-flop play, and am able to understand & apply HoH concepts pretty nicely.
(I played a good 40k $2/$4, 6k $3/$6, 15-20k $0.5/$1 back in the day and have read SSH, WLLH, etc.)

But it seems that in regards to SnGs, playing less post-flop is the way to go, or so I've come to understand from the general "whiff" of things here on the forums.

That's actually why I call a min-raise pre-flop when I limp with a small-mid pair, its just general knowledge from limit that pre-flop, if you've limped and its raised once (1BB in the case of NLHE), it's often correct to call rather than fold it.

Thanks for the reply by the way, it's hard to get people to respond to something serious these days [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2005, 10:16 PM

Well, postflop is less important in SNG's than every other form of poker, but you still want to be able to stack someone with huge implied odds. You can limp behind limpers with relative trash. You really should play QQ hard. You want to make some raises folded to you in LP. AQ is not a terrible hand. You can play AJ for a profit in MP.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, postflop is less important in SNG's than every other form of poker, but you still want to be able to stack someone with huge implied odds. You can limp behind limpers with relative trash. You really should play QQ hard. You want to make some raises folded to you in LP. AQ is not a terrible hand. You can play AJ for a profit in MP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually stopped playing QQ hard only about 10 games ago, and I knew very well the sort of berating it would get from the boards... I'm just not too fond of going all-in preflop with it.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually stopped playing QQ hard only about 10 games ago, and I knew very well the sort of berating it would get from the boards... I'm just not too fond of going all-in preflop with it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Have you seen the crap your opponents call with? You're consistently a 70/30 favorite or better. I can't see how that's a bad thing. You've got to be seeing AQ, AJ, TT-77, at least.