Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2005, 04:05 PM

Default Re: River raise with AA

If he is generally passive I dont like this line. In order for it to be correct he has to be just passive enough to never threebet a worse hand on the rive like QQ or KK, and always CR the turn with a J. That is pretty specific, and I doubt there are many players that you know fit this description. I often take the line you did here, but against agressive players that I would have to call a threebet, and whom often bluff, and hence may not call a turn threebet, or are vs players that are good enough to possibly fold a pair to a threebet on the turn.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:40 PM

Did you see my read? He actually does fit that description exactly. He's passive enough that I think he'd be hard pressed to 3-bet the river with just 9x. He's never 3-betting the river with QQ or KK, and he would've 3-bet those preflop anyway. He appears to never check-raise the flop though, only the turn, so he will check-raise the turn with a J despite his passiveness.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:49 PM

I saw your read. What I am trying to say is that it is very hard to have this specific of a read, and since this specific read is not a common type of player it would be very difficult to be certain someone behaved like this without a ton of hands against them as very few people would cr a jack there every single time that would never bluff threebet the river, or threebet QQ or KK I am not sure if I know anyone that I am certain fits this description. If you have a very strong read that he playes exactly like that then you played it well.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:54 PM

Yeah I understand, but I had been playing him heads up for a while and really did have that good a read on him, even though we hadn't played too many hands. Obviously he's not a very good player, his play was really predictable.

And since he didn't 3-bet preflop, QQ and KK aren't in his hand range