Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Big Stack AA Hand at PP 100NL (6-max)

While we're mentioning PT notes. This is an example of what mine show in my Stars notes. Which do you think I should eliminate/add?

-----
{{Icon: Slightly LAG preflop and Agg postflop.
Hands: 173
VP$IP: 31
PFR: 8
Won: ($126)
W$SD: 43
Limp-call%: 0
Agg-Factor: 2.1}}
-----

Limp-call% doesn't seem to mean anything. Everyone's is 0%, so either nobody limp-calls ever, or I don't understand what it means. I think I should add how often they go to SD directly above W$SD%.

And what information am I gaining from overall aggression level and PFR? What are good levels for these?

Sorry for hijacking your thread. It kinda has to do with your hand, heh.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:50 PM

You dont need limp/call and i dont really think you need W$SD. $Won should be fine to tell you how often they show down the winner, pretty much.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:52 PM

Do you include any of the other crap? Like how often they steal, how often they fold to steal's, etc.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:32 PM

Default Results

SB turned over AsJd and I won the $660.x with AA. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I played this hand very aggresively (perhaps too aggresively). Typically, I'm vary wary of the these sorts of situations when deep stacks are involved, but I played this hand aggro for a number of reasons.

The biggest reason was my table image and the way that I know people typically respond to it. Up to this point I had a wild table image and had showed a willingness to play large pots marginal holdings. I was also caught bluffing by SB and other opponents on numerous occasions leading up to this hand. I believed that UTG and SB, the other larger stacks at the table, correctly surmised that I was capable of bluffing with all my chips. It was my belief that this style of play had significantly loosened the play against me.

Assume my opponent is holding AJ or KJ and think about what his options are; He can play with me (call down or call down and raise) or he could fold. Because of the way that I was playing and the fact that he was no p*ssy, I felt there was a good chance that the would play with such a hand. I did what he might expect me to do with a not so good hand (like QJ, JT or nothing at all) - I bet it and bet it and bet it again. My $168 bet on the river was in fact a value bet, not a bluff attempt. Note that, from his perspetive, his river raise was a value bet as well.

Of course I was concerned aboout the completed str8 draw, but given the other information at my disposal I decided it was second order.

Passion
Old 07-29-2005, 01:35 PM

Default Re: Results

You should also realise, though, that your aggro image means that people will be more likely to trap you. When you have a monster, you can bet it like a maniac and get paid off, but with just an overpair on a very scary board you should be checking this river. Glad it worked out for you, though.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should also realise, though, that your aggro image means that people will be more likely to trap you. When you have a monster, you can bet it like a maniac and get paid off, but with just an overpair on a very scary board you should be checking this river. Glad it worked out for you, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are several responses to me and at this point I'm used to dealing with all of them

(1) People loosen up - This can take the form of SB play in he posted hand. More typically, it involves even worse cards or they just move in PF when I make a big steal raise - often with nothing at all (Ax or small pair), thinking that I have nothing. I have made it a habit to call a these pf all-in raises from smaller stacks a good percentage of the time with any sort of good hand because a) I'm often ahead and b) I want people to know I will call them.

(2) They try to trap. Usually its not to hard to figure out whats going on (after you have seen it 1000s of times) but I get caught a fair amount - it is the price I pay.

(3) They just give up. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Passion
Old 07-29-2005, 01:48 PM

That's all well and good but it will improve your win rate if you can get value from betting the flop and the turn but still avoid being trapped for your whole stack by betting the river and calling all-in. It sounds like we play a similar style but you just need to know when to check the river. This thread reminds me of the recent hand I posted where I made my straight on the river and checked behind on a paired board. I wanted to bet it but I just knew that the chances that villain was trapping were too high. It is the same spot here. Now maybe your villain really sucks (apparently he does) but you shouldn't get into the habit of putting your whole stack in on this river. You will most often not be getting it back.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now maybe your villain really sucks (apparently he does) but you shouldn't get into the habit of putting your whole stack in on this river. You will most often not be getting it back.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. My play here was not representative of how I might typically play the hand. My play was very situation dependent (I basically realized that this guy wasn't going to fold a good hand to me). Had this pot been played with UTG, who I felt was fully capable of laydown AJ or KJ, instead of SB, I would have surely played it differently.

Passion
Old 07-29-2005, 01:54 PM

What was the point of this thread?
Old 07-29-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What was the point of this thread?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is instructional on how to (or how not to) play AA when two big stacks are involved and illustrative as to how an awareness or your table image can (or should) affect decision making. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I have to say that I have been reading 2+2 SSH forums for some time (2+years) and always suprised at how tight (and careful) the typical posters are. I don't play this way and neither do a lot of good shorthanded NL players (my casual observation). I thought posting this hand and some others, would provide some insights into LAG play.

Passion