Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 12:45 PM

Default Re: Best and Worst Days of Your Life as a Sports Fan

Best was the '77 AFC Championship when Denver beat Oakland to go to their first Super Bowl. Freezing cold, too young to be bothered, old enough to remember, too young to have perspective and know it doesn't matter all that much. Fun game. Wish we joined those who stormed the field to tear the goalposts down.

Worst? Dunno. Maybe the rancid Cubs blowing it against the Marlins. I knew better than to get excited but I did. As I have mentioned I was raised to be a Cubs fan but always had some doubts about being orthodox. When they blew it, anybody sensible had to realize what a sham the organization is and how foolish you have to be to root for them, wear their ugly hats and jerseys, pay money to see them, or ever bother to watch until they win something. Made me realize everything my father taught me to believe was a load of crap. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] I exaggerate, but it actually bothered me a little when they blew it. And normally I don't get bothered by something that really has nothing to do with me and doesn't affect me. I wasn't even closely following baseball or watching much. Because really, how bad a day can a sports fan have unless somebody is killed in front of you or something? But it has bothered me enough to post periodic diatribes aganst the Cubs, so I guess it was bad. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2005, 12:52 PM

Best - was a year for me actually. 1997. I'm a UofA basketball fan and a Denver Bronco fan, and they both won it all that year. Magical times for me.

Worst - the three superbowls in four years that my donkeys got blown out of Super Bowls in the late 80's. That next Monday at school was always brutal.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:58 PM

Best: Ground ball back to Foulke! Underhands to first and the Red Sox are World Champions!

Worst: Last year's cancellation of the hockey season. The Boone thing, I was in such deep shock when it happened that it didn't bother me, and my girlfriend was so upset that I had to comfort her, and didn't have the energy to get too mad myself. I was just disappointed. I was 11 years old in 1986, and didn't care much about baseball at the time. But NHL hockey is my favorite sport, and I wasn't sure it would ever come back after they cancelled the '04 season.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But NHL hockey is my favorite sport

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be killed.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:10 PM

Worst: Buckner, obviously. I was 13 and watching the game with my Dad at our house on the Cape. After it happened I walked outside and there were scored of people wandering the streets in a daze.

Honorable mention, not Sox related b/c obviously that list is long: Len Bias. I was so excited to get him. Never tried coke because of that.

Best: If I had to pick a moment from last year, it had to be Damon's grand slam. I was in a bar in Santa Monica jam-packed with Sox fans and it was complete euphoria. The celebration began that moment.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:17 PM

Best two in a row were probably Brosius/Martinez/Jeter raping Kim those two games in the 2001 WS.

Worst is easy [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be killed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, sorry. It's so ridiculous of me to enjoy watching the most creative team sport ever played at it's highest level. Shame on me for not parroting the common complaints about neutral zone traps, expansion, net size, goalie equipment, clutch/grab tactics, and team-points systems that everyone parrots when they want to sound like they have even bothered to watch a hockey game in the last five years. I will now seriously consider killing myself.

Sorry if that was a hijack...
Old 07-29-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be killed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, sorry. It's so ridiculous of me to enjoy watching the most creative team sport ever played at it's highest level. Shame on me for not parroting the common complaints about neutral zone traps, expansion, net size, goalie equipment, clutch/grab tactics, and team-points systems that everyone parrots when they want to sound like they have even bothered to watch a hockey game in the last five years. I will now seriously consider killing myself.

Sorry if that was a hijack...

[/ QUOTE ]

EXCELLENT! ...you could not have said this any better.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:28 PM

worst:tie between NCAA title game and...well, I'm a Cubs fan. take a wild flippin' guess

best: Arizona getting pwned. Sadly, I didn't have tickets for this game. Had them for all the games except this one and Nevada. If I'm required to be there mopping the floor with Louisville wins easily.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:29 PM

No better game than playoff hockey.