Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 11:14 AM

Default Re: Level 2 KQo, flopped top pair (Party $11)

In my recent experience, people will also push with any draw hand - so QJ isn't out of the question, or Q9 - or even Q 10 - so he has 2nd pair and a freaky draw which he is sure he can hit - he may even be pushing with an Ace in the belief he can hit an A or a str to beat u - people do this all the time! LOL - hence why I said I would call

cheers

Damian

The flop minbet followed by a push when you reraise is frequently suggestive of some kind of trapping to me. I think sets are plausible here, two pair isn't out of the question, TP and flush draw, etc. Then again, people will also bust this out with KT here sometimes and think they are trapping as well. Since you're getting 2:1, you need to be pretty convinced that you're beat to lay down. I'm not quite convinced enough; while I think you're beat quite often, I think you'll be ahead here frequently enough to make this marginally profitable. Call, but it's pretty close.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-29-2005, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Level 2 KQs, flopped top pair (Party $11)

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get it. You have 1 limper, you will have position the entire hand and you have a good, but not great had with KQs. This seems like the ideal time to raise, hopefully get the blinds out, and go up against the limper heads up.

What are the arguments against raising? What hands do you raise here?

[/ QUOTE ]

you can make many arguments for raising with this hand and having position as well as making arguments not too. No real straightforward definitive answer.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:19 AM

I don't see SB on a set here (unless he played it weird) - usually people on a set will slow play it or bet it to chase out the flush draw - he didn't do either of these things. He could have two spades - you'll see people coming over the top all-in with their flush draws all the time at the 11s - they hope to win the pot right there and if not they get the benefit of seeing both the turn and the river.

Might be up against two pair here as well - like KT. T5, K5 unlikely since he probably would have just folded them PF.

If I had to guess I would put you behind the SB at the moment and would fold here. (Although I do get heat here for laying down TPTK to often.)

Limping late with KQ is how I'd play it too with a UTG limper. I'd raise with AK, AQ and 99+.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Limping late with KQ is how I'd play it too with a UTG limper. I'd raise with AK, AQ and 99+.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's your rationale for limping with KQ but raising with AQ? I think against low buyin opponents they're going to play very similarly unless you're looking for high card value when you completely whiff.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:36 AM

You don't make second best hands with AQ?
Old 07-29-2005, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Flopping an A and losing to AK doesn't count? The additional hands that beat you when you flop Q high with KQ as opposed to AQ are precisely AQ. But if your opponent is limping in with a huge range of hands, which people will do at low-buyin SNGs, then the fact that there's one more hand that beats you isn't terribly relevant because they're going to be playing tons more hands that you beat. So while KQ is obviously worse than AQ, they're going to play quite similarly. If you're that paranoid about being dominated by random fish, then there's not much reason to play AQ for a raise either.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Flopping an A and losing to AK doesn't count? The additional hands that beat you when you flop Q high with KQ as opposed to AQ are precisely AQ. But if your opponent is limping in with a huge range of hands, which people will do at low-buyin SNGs, then the fact that there's one more hand that beats you isn't terribly relevant because they're going to be playing tons more hands that you beat. So while KQ is obviously worse than AQ, they're going to play quite similarly. If you're that paranoid about being dominated by random fish, then there's not much reason to play AQ for a raise either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah ok mate, whatever

It's nothing to do with that though, you seem to have big holes in your tournament theory
Old 07-29-2005, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously AQ is a much stronger hand than KQ, but saying you don't make second best hands with AQ is just stupid.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:05 PM

Alright, "when a Q falls", let's be pedantic shall we.. or for that matter "when a flush comes of my suit"
Old 07-29-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's nothing to do with that though

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm interested in hearing what you think it does have to do with, then.