Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 01:01 AM

Default Re: Im moving up to 10/20 monday god help me

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't expect to be ahead out of the blinds in the long run. I'm OoP and I've put money in on random cards. Frequent defending puts you in a reverse implied odds situation because you can't collect bets when you are ahead as easily as when you have position.

What I like to do is defend my blinds less than usual in aggresive games HU, that is, to not defend them with borderline or even slightly better than borderline hands. When the LAG's see this they'll steal with more and more garbage. So this sets them up for my 3 bet once I have a halfway decent hand. Do this and follow through with it often enough and eventaully they'll only try stealing with there better hands. Now you get to play without being raised and you get to pick up a pot or two that you were missing out on in the past. This method also cuts down on variance, a biggie when moving up.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents, FWIW.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is terrible terrible advice, esp for 10/20 6max.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it really is. First off, plays that setup other plays online aren't usually worth it, esp if you're sacrificing a decent amount of EV to do it. in this case you are, folding too much against a LAG stealing your blind is losing tons of EV.

Second, there's no way that your plan to "punish" him will make up for all the blinds that you're going to be giving to him.

Third, even if you do catch a couple good hands in a row and do 3bet him a few times, he probably won't notice... plus if you get to showdown (very likely), they'll see that you're only fighting back with solid hands, so they'd continue to steal, knowing that most of the time you won't have a solid hand, and you'll just fold preflop.

Finally, your complicated plan to set up this 2nd level trap is bad even if it does work. an overaggressive LAG who steals too much is making a mistake, so why encourage him to back off, and steal with a probably more optimal frequency.

So, basically if your plan does work perfectly, it still costs EV. More likely though, you'll just be folding WAY too much, and encourage the LAG to steal more from you, which will actually be correct since you're giving up the BB too often.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:12 AM

u guys are starting to make my head hurt. all these arguments sound well thought out. right now i fold my bb to a raise 55% accordning to pt. guess im gonna have to get this down to 50 or less for 10-20. so i will play my best postflop to make up for all those time i call to see the flop, but have to fold to a flop bet. i refuse to bluff without "outs". am i wrong? i will continue to 3 bet my normal pfr hands (12%). what is a good attempt to steal %??
Old 07-29-2005, 01:30 AM

thanks, thats exactly it, i'm just lazy about typing
Old 07-29-2005, 07:24 AM

I play at Pokerroom 10 handed. I try to never play anything less than 9-10 handed. I really don't like frequent OoP blind defences. Waiting and then pounding the LAG's works for me. Including blinds, I'm usually seeing about 17% of flops. My blind defence contrubutes to my tight aggressive image and helps me stealing and bluffing to take dowm some extra pots here and there.

I've played a more liberal blind defence in the past and it works well enough but the variance really increases and that tends to move me closer to tilt. The tighter defence works best for me and I don't feel that I'm giving up much EV, ALL things considered.