Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 06:44 PM

Default Re: Ask any newbie question here

It was a typo in a computer game, which one i don't remember. The word they were trying to spell was own.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:46 PM

Does anyone have any general tips for playing JJ? I have only recently started using PT, and maybe my sample size is way too small (50 or something), but I was slightly horrified to see that I appear to be losing money with JJ.

Any do's and don'ts? What sort of thing should I be more or less likely to do JJ, when compared to QQ and TT?

Especially at levels 1-2 in a 10+1 where the only way to drive out people who play any face card is to make a huge overbet. Should I just try to limp in cheaply and hope for a set/overpair at that level?
Old 07-28-2005, 06:47 PM

citanul,

you mentioned the gap in one of these posts.

could you explain the gap principle and inflection point(s) please. Im sure these might be more useful in an MTT but knowledge of them would still be appreciated.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:56 PM

stack,

the gap concept is described pretty fully in the FAQ stickied to the top of the forum. it means that you need a bigger hand to call than you think your opponent has on average when he raises. in sng play this means that stealing blinds becomes easier because this "gap" between quality of raising and calling hands widens as people fear busting out right next to the money, so call even less and less.

i can't really give you a run down on inflection points. they appear to basically be spots where it makes sense to gamble because a small change in your stack for the gambling chips doesn't matter, while the big chips you could make by gambling would be huge to you. also they i think include spots where it's ok to gamble for all your chips as a dog getting insufficient odds because of your particular stack and state of the tournament.

but i haven't read hoh2 yet. so what do i know.

citanul
Old 07-28-2005, 06:57 PM

I have been having pretty good success playing sng's one at a time and am contemplating starting to play two or more at a time. Is it possible to have two "screens" up at the same time instead of switching back and forth between the two. When switching I seem to lose focus and make boneheaded decisions but I think if I could watch both tables at the same time this wouldn't happen (at least as much). Is this possible? If so, how do I do it?

Sorry for being a computer illerate-tard but I can't seem to figure this out myself. Thanks.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:59 PM

Rubbish,

There is not now nor will there ever be any "concensus" on how to play JJ preflop. You can profitably play it limping and playing solely for overpair and set value, I'm sure. JJ is (I think I'm remembering this right) the lowest pair favored to be an overpair post flop. So if your opponents all have an overcard or two, they're still a favorite to flop one to beat you. In general I like to raise JJ, but that's not the way many others choose to play it. I, infact, mix in some limps as well.

It's not as strong as QQ clearly, and stronger than TT, clearly. The bottom line is play it "carefully."

citanul
Old 07-28-2005, 07:08 PM

I'm kind of embarrassed to have to ask this.

Second hand of a 33 SNG, Hero is in BB with AKo. MP minraises, CO comes over the top for 10xBB (150).

What's hero's move?
Old 07-28-2005, 07:11 PM

Hey Citanul, thanks for doing this. Most recommend pushing UTG when on the bubble to apply max pressure on opponents who are reluctant to bust, especially when you have the big stack. However, it seems this strategy risks a lot of chips to win relatively few since you're usually behind when you do get called. I've lost a lot of big chip leads this way and would appreciate some advice. (Then again, maybe this strategy is the reason for my chip lead in the first place.)

As a follow up, when you do push in these spots (say, with AJo or something), do you recommend pushing with a King instead of an Ace so that you at least have clean outs? The majority of time I get called is with a better Ace or small PP.

Thanks,
Bruce
Old 07-28-2005, 07:17 PM

Citanul,

I have had a considerable amount of success at all levels up to the 55s, and have been told by several respected posters here who have reviewed my hhs that I could beat the higher levels for a marginal amount (single digit roi). I haven't showed profit in close to two months, and I consistantly get my money in with the best of it. I am an extremely confident person, but I am having real doubts as to whether or not I am a winning player when looking at my profit which has a slope that is steeper than a double black diamond in colorado. I have shown a negative profit over my last thousand recorded sngs and am starting to doubt myself. Am I just the unluckiest player on this forum or do I suck? Please, massage my ego a little.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:18 PM

Quercus,

I'd probably instafold in that spot. I haven't played the 33s in a long time, but from what I remember, the avg miniraise and the avg reraise at that spot are signs of strength, I want to say that you're probably in bad shape unless you run into a donkey with AT-AQ or something here, and taking a flop is both not gauranteed if you call and too much of your stack to attempt. I'd just let this one go.

citanul