Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 01:47 PM

Default Re: QQ with A-T-T flop

[ QUOTE ]
Not you..! I am sure you've read TPFAP where I hijacked this example from.. it was meant at the OP

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually haven't gotten around to reading TPFAP yet [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Though I do own it.

BTW that line is only for opponents who don't suck. If I'm against a loose passive who will call down with JJ or KJ here I'm betting that turn. It's nice to see that my instincts match Sklansky answer.

The reason is that my hand has showdown value and anyone who gives me tons of action here has me beat. The question that I don't know is do you bet if he checks to you, I think the answer is yes, but against a lot of opponents you fold to a river c/r.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:48 PM

I'm probably betting around 1/2 the pot on the turn because I feel I'm ahead and there's a slight chance he's on a straight draw and I want to charge him.

I'm assuming you are going to advocate checking the turn to induce a bluff?
Old 07-28-2005, 01:49 PM

Even against them I don't think you should bet the turn; too much chance of them raising you and you having to lay down what is possibly the best hand, and if it isn't, has a chance to become the best hand at the river.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even against them I don't think you should bet the turn; too much chance of them raising you and you having to lay down what is possibly the best hand, and if it isn't, has a chance to become the best hand at the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against the type of opponents who suck that I'm talking about, I'm betting that turn and calling the raise confident I have the best hand nearly all the time.

But against 90%+ of opponents it's definitely correct to check the turn.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm probably betting around 1/2 the pot on the turn because I feel I'm ahead and there's a slight chance he's on a straight draw and I want to charge him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh. You should never bet in the last position if you would hate your opponent raising you back. You would have the draw to the nuts but not the odds to call it. Also you would not have any idea if your hand was ahead or not. This is really simple poker theory and nothing at all to do with "inducing a bluff". TPTK is just not that strong in NL poker.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you bet that turn a good opponent will put you on no worse than TPTK and fold if behind.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you bet that turn a good opponent will put you on no worse than TPTK and fold if behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's my only question about the discussion regarding the AK hand -- when did we start assuming our opponents are good?

I bet KQ pays us off here. Same with KJ, KT. People are pretty bad at poker.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:01 PM

I agree with checking the turn on my original example with QQ. I think you explained the reasons quite clearly.

I'm still not sold on checking the turn in your example. If I'm raised on the turn, I have a tough decision. I have seen many bad players call my turn bet down with KQ or QQ. I don't think I should be giving up those chips. Plus why give my opponent infinite odds to hit a card if they are behind, which I think they are?
Old 07-28-2005, 02:01 PM

Also, I haven't read Hold'em for Advanced Players in a while, but isn't this example from a limit game?
Old 07-28-2005, 02:24 PM

I am just trying to learn.

The assumption here is that the SB would not have called the continuation bet unless he had you beat? You would take the free card assuming that it is going to help you more than it will help the other guy?

Assuming no Q on the river, how big of a bet would you call on the river?