Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 09:31 PM

Default Re: How come so many of the name pros busted out the first day?

[ QUOTE ]
If I were a pro, I would take a chance and try to get as many chips as possible the first day. My reasoning is that if I lose, I can play cash games instead of sticking around and just miss out in the money or barely make the money. A lot of these pros can make $10,000+ easily in a cash game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea but this to me sounds like the best answer.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:22 PM

Also there is a LOT of luck in poker, more than most people seem willing to admit. Also plenty of the "non-name" pro's almost surely play just as well or close to the level of a lot of the "name" pro's.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How come such a high percentage of the name pros busted out the first day when there were so many fish?

When I play in a tournament with weak players, I usually make the top third, since the fish usually bust themselves out fairly quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you the kind of player who folds your way into the money on the bubble and has a relatively rate of final tables vs. times in the money?
Old 07-28-2005, 11:27 PM

Playing for 15 hours in a game where you can go broke in a single hand will do it.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Almost two-thirds of the field was eliminated on the day ones, right? So, I'd figure anywhere between one half and two thirds of the name pros would be busted. Seems to be about right.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I have heard most of the initial field was pretty weak and a lot of them typical loose Internet players. I would think most of the name players would survive a cut to 1/3 of the field.

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is where you are mistaken. Just because the pros will do better than the weak players does not mean that you should expect most of the pros to survive to the final 1/3 of the field. Out of every random group of 30 players, about 10 made it to day 2. Out of every group of 30 random pros, about 15 probably made it to day 2. And that is very good for them, and not less than you should expect.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 07-29-2005, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really wonder about the number of "fish" that play in the WSOP ME these days. Yes, I'm sure they are there. Mike O'Malley's trip report details the level of confusion that some of them displayed.

However, I would hesitate to call someone who wins their seat on line a fish. Fact is, they had to win a tournament just to get there. And while a few donks will get lucky and win a seat on line, I highly doubt that the majority of on line qualifiers suck.

Just my thoughts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know where they got their seat, but there were a ton of very weak and very inexperienced players in this event. I'm sure many of them won their seat online, but I'm also sure that some of them got in via other routes. As Mike described at his table, there were plenty of players like that at every table, as far as I could tell.

It doesn't mean that they're bad players, and it certainly doesn't mean that I assume somebody is not a good player just because they won their seat online. However, with no further information, I will have to assume that the player who paid $10,000 cash is going to be a lot stronger than the player who won his seat online. On average, the difference will be huge.

Old 07-29-2005, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How come such a high percentage of the name pros busted out the first day when there were so many fish?

When I play in a tournament with weak players, I usually make the top third, since the fish usually bust themselves out fairly quickly.

Were the top players, taking risks to accululate a lot of chips?

Maybe these name pros don't knoew how to play fish, since they only play pretty big games. Maybe, you see players like Raymer, Arieh, Williams, Hachem, Kanter, and Black at the final table not just because there are more of them than the name pros, but but because they understand better how to play against fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a common misconception that playing tight early is correct strategy. I'm not saying go out and try to be the chip leader...instead there’s alot of dead money out there and you better get it early. Id rather take a risk early getting chips from Mr. fish then waiting to get out played later by a better player. This however this is if your playing to win not just make the money. (the pros arent wasteing 5 days to make 15kor so
Old 07-29-2005, 01:39 AM

How and an answer to the question... because of there play they take more risks and put chips in jepardy were they can be out drawn or on occation make a bad play. As about the correct number or pros mad the 2nd day there were 5,000 players
Old 07-29-2005, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really wonder about the number of "fish" that play in the WSOP ME these days. Yes, I'm sure they are there. Mike O'Malley's trip report details the level of confusion that some of them displayed.

However, I would hesitate to call someone who wins their seat on line a fish. Fact is, they had to win a tournament just to get there. And while a few donks will get lucky and win a seat on line, I highly doubt that the majority of on line qualifiers suck.

Just my thoughts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last time i checked the only thing thats a bigger crap shoot in poker then the wsop me... are all of the internet qualifers staring with 50 to 75bb and blinds moving every 10 mins. Ie alot of internet qualifers are donkeys. (btw i have read at least 9 articles over the past year were some retard outdraws a 2+2er late in a tourt during the allin fest period, only to go on to win the seat, alot of luck in those tourts.)
Old 07-29-2005, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't know where they got their seat, but there were a ton of very weak and very inexperienced players in this event. I'm sure many of them won their seat online, but I'm also sure that some of them got in via other routes. As Mike described at his table, there were plenty of players like that at every table, as far as I could tell.

It doesn't mean that they're bad players, and it certainly doesn't mean that I assume somebody is not a good player just because they won their seat online. However, with no further information, I will have to assume that the player who paid $10,000 cash is going to be a lot stronger than the player who won his seat online. On average, the difference will be huge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, didn't you win your seat online last year?