Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 11:55 AM

Default Re: Verbal Is Binding (Low Content)

I don't do it when I'm playing 10/20 or higher. But if I'm just screwing around at low limits then I do. Like I said I really don't think it's wrong unless you're getting people upset.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:08 PM

He's just screwing around with a LAG. Part of the LAG's thrill is to be the table captain and push everyone around. the LAG often wants to put the table on tilt so they play poorly against him/her.

I think this is -EV but clearly it is a lot of fun. Saying Check raise isn't binding and screwing around with a LAG shouldn't be considered angle shooting especially since He followed through on what He said.

If He said Check Raise as an attempt to get a free card or induce others to check, then that would be a clear angle shoot.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how it's angle shooting if you actually do check/raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
I suppose that would just depend on your definition of "angle-shooting" - posibly mine is misconstrued. Making an annoucement in hopes of influencing your opponents actions is, to me, clearly "shooting an angle". It may be purposeful or it may be for fun - I think that's irrelevant.

[ QUOTE ]
I do xxxx like this all the time at live games. I'll announce my cards to the table, announce my intentions, etc. But I never lie. So how is that angle shooting? You can argue that it's stupid and sure it is. But it's fun. I don't think it's in any way wrong as long as it's kept friendly and not xxxxing people off and as long as you never do it to intentionally deceive opponent(s).

[/ QUOTE ]
Totally agree - and I'm definitely guilty of the above myself. Personally, I've found that other players seem to enjoy it - to an extent. Just to clarify - I don't think it's annoying - I should've fixed that in the post as well, I was just clarifying that, IMO, there was nothing "potential" about this.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't believe that your declaration to checkraise is binding, since your only action when it is checked to you is to either bet or check. Claiming that you will later raise a potential bet is acting out of turn, and would likely be uninforceable.

Congratulations, though, on potentially being an annoying angle-shooter.

[/ QUOTE ]

God you're a nit.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I suppose that would just depend on your definition of "angle-shooting" - posibly mine is misconstrued. Making an annoucement in hopes of influencing your opponents actions is, to me, clearly "shooting an angle". It may be purposeful or it may be for fun - I think that's irrelevant.

[/ QUOTE ]
When I flop the nuts and announce that "I win" or when I announce preflop I've got rockets do you think my opponents care if they fold? When I value bet a river and then can see that I just made a good value bet and flip my cards face up so my opponent can save a BB do you think they care? I think to be termed "angle-shooting" it pretty much has to benefit you in some way which this clearly doesn't. It's all for entertainment and all at my own expense.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Congratulations, though, on being an annoying angle-shooter.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I tip the dealer after betting the turn HU, is that an angle too?

Rob
Old 07-28-2005, 12:44 PM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

[ QUOTE ]
I don't believe that your declaration to checkraise is binding, since your only action when it is checked to you is to either bet or check. Claiming that you will later raise a potential bet is acting out of turn, and would likely be uninforceable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you mean unenforceable.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:59 PM

Spliting hairs as I think you are right that verbal out of turn is not binding. An action is also not binding if the action is not to you and someone else acts in between you and previous action.

So in a NL game, if you raise or call and put your chips in the middle out of turn and the player to your right bets or calls or raises, your action is not binding.

- Jim
Old 07-28-2005, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
screwing around with a LAG shouldn't be considered angle shooting especially since He followed through on what He said.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoah... did God just checkraise somebody? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I tip the dealer after betting the turn HU, I am rad.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]