Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: You're first to act UTG+1 with Pocket 9's. How do you open?
raise 4x BB 8 11.43%
raise > 4 BB 0 0%
raise 3x BB 4 5.71%
mini-rasie 2x BB 3 4.29%
limp 55 78.57%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-27-2005, 04:35 PM

Default Re: To limp, or not to limp, that is the... leak?!

Most people fold JTs in EP? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2005, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i do. you might wanna try it too cos as you move up you'll be seeing fewer and fewer unraised flops.

fim
Old 07-27-2005, 05:26 PM

Fair enough. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2005, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why Ghazban raised the questions that he did. Its very hard to make preflop decisions in a vacuum. In the absence of information, its a fairly clear fold.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:37 PM

only thing i see wrong is i open with KQs or fold in UTG+1.
Then again this is a 6-max thought process maybe not good in full ring but, im not limping it that early.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i do. you might wanna try it too cos as you move up you'll be seeing fewer and fewer unraised flops.

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally will fold this in EP if there have been a lot of raises from those in LP, but I'll raise it maybe 30% of the time as well. Shania, at least.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:47 PM

Dude, it's a leak. Trust me.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:57 PM

I just got PokerTracker registered and i was kinda supprised that it rated me as a tight/passive-passive, a freakin mouse!! Now i'm wondering if tight/passive-passive is in fact the correct strategy when playing $10 and $20NL tables.

I'm thinking it is for sure correct in the $10NL tables, but i'm really not sure about the $20NL & $50NL, i have about 12k hands playing the $10NL/PL level with 23BB/100.

My BB/100 for the $20&$50NL levels is 11BB/100 for $50NL(2k hands), and 2BB/100 for $20NL(5k hands).

The BB/100 rate for the $20NL level isn't very accurate due to lack of hands and a recent downswing.

I have many more HH's but they got deleted.

i'm five tabling at the moment, so would being so passive be the correct strategy for the $20 tables? Should i change very much moving up to the $50?

I really don't want to mess with a good thing, unless of course it can be made better.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The BB/100 rate for the $20NL level isn't very accurate due to lack of hands and a recent downswing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Winrates over 2,000 hands aren't accurate anyway.

This is a dangerous way of thinking, though. Downswings are part of the game like anything else. They are factored into everybody's winrate.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:26 PM

My answers and some comments, maybe you will find it interesting.

1)77 limp, no comments, I guess raise make sense but I like blinds to call, so maybe there will be someone willing to payoff a set
2)I think folding is very bad here; limp is ok; raise is ok too but I think limping brings better results, just my experience
3)KQs limp/raise I think there is no significant diffrence here, foldign this hand is simply hopeless
4)KJs, limp but fold it you are sure that somebody will raise, KJs is not so good hand but it can be played profitably for one bet, you need some cards to catch your flushes and str8 which are goldmine in NLHE
5)KTs FOLD, FOLD, its not even close this hand is hopeless OOP, if you are going to play hands which probably will flop draw of some kind be sure to play them in position
6)JTs, this is interesting. I used to play this hand in every position I am sure it can be profitably played in SSNL because people are hopeless postflop BUT I think its good idea to start with solid tight play when at new level and certainly solid tight poker indicates fold in this spot. Again same principle, if you are going to play a hand which probably will flop a draw, be sure to be in position, because playing draws OOP in NLHE is very difficult.
6)folding KQs in this spot in SSNL is just giving away money, there too many KJ's K10's QJ's and Q10's willing to pay you off... you certainly can play this profitably, so limp
7)KJs is trash, fold, period.
8)15% are folding 33 UTG ?? pls seat in my game, people you have no idea what small stakes nolimit is all about, jesus.. that's horrible; limp and count your money

Summing this up: I think that good player can play vast range of hands profitably in small stakes because people are horrible and even hands like 85s in position can be profitable. But you need to have very good feel for these games to use loose strategy and you have to be sure that you are very good postflop as playing weak hands is very difficult. I think the best approach is to start very tight and then loose up a little. By a little I mean adding some speculative hands in position, playing KJ UTG wont make you a fortune but can be disastrous if you are not careful.
(Oh and remember, never ever fold 33 UTG...)

Best wishes