Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Re: What to do...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You need to play aggressive poker and not be afraid that every raise/bet means that somebody has the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where specifically should I have been more aggressive?

[/ QUOTE ]

3beto el flopo

Even given your table read, I'd bet the flop. However, having not bet it, I'd 3bet when it came back to me. I think it is more likely that you are up against a flush or str8 draw then two pair or a set from MP1, and BB probably just has a weak ace. If BB caps, then leads the turn, I might just go into call-down mode, worried about A8 or A5, and I don't like the 9 on the turn as it completes a draw for 67s which MP1 might have, but I'm more worried about the flush draw then the str8 draw.
If your 3bet on the flop is not capped, lead the turn and the river.

I think that when you try to check-raise, that you really need to have an idea of who might be likely to bet after you check.

For example if you are trying to protect a vulnerable hand, then you really want a late position player to bet so that you can raise from early position to try to reduce the field.

Alternatively if you have a strong made (or drawing) hand and you think it is likely that the player immediately after you is going to bet, then you may be able to trap the field into calling another bet by the time you raise.

So when deciding whether to attempt a check/raise or not, I would consider whether anyone else had raised preflop, because often a preflop raiser will bet the flop if checked to.

In this hand, I think that I would have bet out on the flop with top pair and a good kicker. However as you checked and it was bet and then raised by BB, I would have 3-bet.

Thats because your hand was vulnerable with the 2 flush and possible straight draws on the board, and raising may have folded the inside straight drawing hands to improve the chances of your hand holding up.

The turn and river action may have been different if you had bet out or raised on the flop. BB could easily have been betting with top pair and a weaker kicker than your Q, thinking that his hand was best and that MP1 was betting a flush draw.

Given that you just called on the flop, I would have raised on the turn after BB bet.

The way that I think you shoud have played this hand was to bet the flop and then call down if BB raised the flop and continued to bet into you on the turn and river.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:48 PM

Not betting this flop is a huge mistake.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who are you check-raising? YOu were the pre-flop aggressor, and you catch a good flop. So bet it for value. Then bet the turn, and then bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given your play, I'm torn between 3 betting the flop and leading the turn, or calling the flop and raising a bet from BB on turn on a non [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
to try and get MP out.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:49 PM

When you bet out the flop you get a lot of calls from middle and bottom pairs, and longshot draws. If you plan to c/r an unknown bettor you may be facing the weak hands with two bets, and they make an easy fold. If they do call your play makes you look like you have a very strong hand (AA, AK, maybe 88), and people are going to slow down a lot and probably fold the flop or turn.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:54 PM

Literally everywhere where you could have bet/raised but didnt. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]