Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 04:24 AM

Default Re: 10/20 nl 3 handed calling station makes a river check raise

Will the villain call down with no pair to pick off a bluff? Has he done this before? Have you fired repeatedly with nothing? I think this is all important information.

I hate this river, but you would know better than I do if there's value there.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:04 AM

If ever there was a time to check behind...

That said, villain's play is extremely wierd. I also often call in situations like these were it just doesn't really make sense that villain would have a hand worth raising with, so he must be bluffing, and get shown something like 86. Or TT. What the fuuuuuuuuuck?

Hope he had 44.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I call because I am confused, thats what i do when it just doesnt add up in the heat of battle

[/ QUOTE ]

(This sums me up too. And a lot of the time I find that I'm right but sometimes I've made a call when deep down I knew that villain "knew" I was going to call. His big bet on the end is not a bluff in that scenario. Usually it's some obscure runner straight or something).

With regard to the original post, I'm pretty sure I'd look him up and then be mucking my hand (wishing I'd had the discipline to fold). I don't see him CRing with any hand that doesn't have you beat. With the way you've described villain, he prob won't run this bluff unless he's cracked.

I don't mind betting marginal hands on the end for value in NL if I'm pretty sure I'll win if called and if I can throw away the pot if faced with a big raise. For me, neither would be a certainty in this scenario. I'd have checked behind.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:49 AM

why arent you checking behind on the turn
Old 07-26-2005, 07:15 AM

Default RESULTS and thoughts

maybe this was unintneresting but i think the call when you cannot possibly put villain on a hand play is an interesting one to think about, whether it is + EV or whatever...

ok this is my thinking.

villain has been calling me with SUCH crap that he literally will call with A high for 400 dollars. the whole time i put him on middle pair and i thought i had him outkicked, so i bet.

when he check raised me i thought why on earth would he check a boat in that spot? i mean i've been representing an overpair type hand the whole time and everyone had told me that they would check behind with an overpair (or with A7) so why would he expect me to bet?

because that type of bet is usually a bluff or a boat and i reallllly didn't think he'd check a boat in that spot, i called. he showed 87 and i won... but i was still confused (and still am) as to whether it was a bluff or a value raise or what. and trust me when i called i expected to lose.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:26 AM

Default Re: RESULTS and thoughts

when bad opponents accidentally make two way bets it confuses the hell out of me

in my mind since:

ive called off a ton of money with bottom or second pair to obvious weakness and have been barely beaten

ive raised with bottom pair when someone seemed weak and been called by 2nd/3rd pair for large sums...

These types of players just dont make sense and dont realize that bets have meaning or that their opponents have a possible hand range

might as well flip the cards over and run the board for stacks
Old 07-26-2005, 09:18 AM

Looks so much like 22-44, Id have to call.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:05 AM

hes got four fives
Old 07-26-2005, 11:41 AM

Why do you say that "Bad players will often wait until the river to reveal their slowplayed monster." If the point of playing poker is to win money, then why not let another player put as much as possible into the pot? Especially since some of the replies state that they would call when they are admittedly confused? I have won alot of money with a slow played middle set that some overly aggressive player never put me on. I expect that I will continue.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:29 PM

I agree with the "Bad players wait till the river to checkraise" comment. I've seen it a lot where people will take a 1 pair hand like AA checking all the way, only to make a huge check raise on the river, at which point, of course, they win a tiny pot, or lose a monster because only a hand which beats them will call.

I've also had many situations where a weaker player has been check calling me the whole way, and then when I check behind on the river with my pair, they table a fullhouse, or something crazy.

Don't underestimate how important it is to get your raises in on the TURN...when everyone else still has a chance to improve. Once that river comes, their hand is set, and you won't make much more off them unless they caught something (which happens way less often than the times they miss).