Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Should I play rebuys?

Yo Cheif, you ever do the push every hand routine during the rebuy?
Old 07-26-2005, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't bother if you don't want to rebuy or add on at all. The average player is going to have ~4x the initial chip count by after the first break and the chip leader will have at least 8x. Even if you play well it's going to be hard to get that many chips without rebuying or adding on. After that point, even if you double up you are barely even going to be average let alone in good position if you start with so little chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Talk about horrible non-fact based anecdotal advice.

The rebuys are such donk-fests even after its over, playing very tight solid poker can make a 5k stack (3k plus add on) a very viable playing stack post-rebuy. You are still 35xBB, and many people have a hard time shifting gears from the rebuy period.

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

Well to be fair, he did say NO REBUYS OR ADD ONS. That would make his stack from tight play ~3k (according to you)or twice the initial buy in. Even the worst player could have at least 3x the initial buy in simply from doing a rebuy and an add-on. That means many many people have more than this, or like I said about 4x the initial buy-in on average. If he doubles up after the rebuy he'll have 6000k or about 4xs the initial buy in. That still only puts him in the average to lower average category with some players having upwards of 10-20x the buy in. The blinds make it possible to play with this amount but he would still not be in great position.

So, is it possible? Of course. Is it likely? Not very IMO considering you have to double up twice or more just to be barely average (depending on how long it takes to double up). Even if the play quality isn't that great
anytime you put yourself in the position of having to go all-in multiple times (by being quite short stacked in this case) your success isn't going to be too consistent.

All of this is of course, my humble opinion.

You can call it horrible non-fact based anecdotal advice (although you never did point out what you thought was wrong with it) if you wish but I hope you aren't trying to claim that your advice is fact-based and not anecdotal. If so, I'd like to see the comprehensive data supporting your claims.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:48 PM

If you have no intention of rebuying or adding on then skip them. Why fight an uphill battle? For the same reason I don't play the PArty Million cruise semi finals because I don't earn the exttra starting chips so it's just not an even fight.

But I think rebuys are an excellent value for a good player, provided you rebuy and add-on properly. THere are lots of extra chips in play and usually there is lot's of play after the rebuy period ends. Excellent circumstances for good players.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:14 PM

One thing I've done is pay attention to who the good players are. I often look at the Pokerstars Tourney Points rankings and I recognize the top players. If I end up at one of their tables during the rebuy period (many of them build their bankrolls in re-buys) I find this to be an advantage for me. The best players with the deepest bank rolls are willing to put all their chips in the middle with a very wide range of hands.

Of course, this doesn't always play out, but it's something that has helped me recently.

Also, I don't play rebuys unless I'm willing to put up at least 5x the buy-in. I'd rather play a regular tournament, otherwise.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:44 PM

Maybe this doesn't apply since the only rebuy I do is the $3 Sun sat. at stars, but...

I never rebuy and very seldom addon.

Since I started using PT I've played about 20 times(i'm at work and not looking at my actual stats.) I've placed once.
$60.00 buyin, $215 tourney dollars to play sng's with.

I placed 4 or 5 times back in Oct and Sept also (w/o rebuying) but I wuz the fish back then and have nothing left to show for it. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I also looked over my stats on other people I've played w/in these rebuys and guess what the average buyin was for those making the cut the most . . . $3. (Cashed - buyin/# of tourneys).

Edit: I could still be the fish [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] (before anybody else says it)
Old 07-26-2005, 06:03 PM

I've been known to do it on occasion. But I dont think its ideal. But I think my favorite hand of all time came from that. I push preflop for 3k with 72o. Called 3 times. Cards are AA, JJ, TT. Flop is (I'm not making this up) JAT. Turn 9, river 8.

Nick
Old 07-26-2005, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been known to do it on occasion. But I dont think its ideal. But I think my favorite hand of all time came from that. I push preflop for 3k with 72o. Called 3 times. Cards are AA, JJ, TT. Flop is (I'm not making this up) JAT. Turn 9, river 8.

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that it isn't ideal, but it's soo much fun to do once in awhile. It's hilarious how pissed off some people get..