Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Downloading mp3s....

I used to do what you describe. Being able to download individual songs at a very low price (like on ITunes) should be taking care of this problem for you somewhat. Pay for the one song you like and ignore the rest.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:26 PM

as someone who has been a musician for a very long time, I can tell you that the real reason artists are upset over illegal downloading is the majority feel that they should get paid for what they produce.

the idea that artists are against downloading because they are too lazy to produce high quality work is absolutely ludicrous.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the idea that artists are against downloading because they are too lazy to produce high quality work is absolutely ludicrous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. That was just more of an aside to the real question.

As an artist, would you object to me downloading your music knowing that the only way I would purchase your music is if I was allowed to preview it first through my downloads? Assume I delete the music and never listen to it again if I don't purchase the CD.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As an artist, would you object to me downloading your music knowing that the only way I would purchase your music is if I was allowed to preview it first through my downloads?

[/ QUOTE ]

no not at all, but not having any control over what anyone is downloading (i.e. if it's all over p2p) is not ideal.

most artists aren't stupid, I'll probably give away my next studio recording and be happy if it gets listened to enough to be popular on any p2p. personally I wouldn't care at all, but I feel strongly it should be my decision either way.

--turnipmonster
Old 07-25-2005, 02:46 PM

You're right, I just skimmed your post and missed some important stuff. What you're doing is perfectly fine, in my opinion. You're doing the same thing as using Napster or iTunes to preview the music before you buy it, right? I don't see how anyone could have a problem with that.

EDIT: OK, yes, technically I suppose its stealing to download music at all. But it seems like only corporate lawyers and obstinate, insanely strict moralists would make an issue of it.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're doing the same thing as using Napster or iTunes to preview the music before you buy it, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct, the only thing that may be somewhat unethical in my opinion is that if I do decide to purchase the CD, I don't delete the mp3s from my computer.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:02 PM

From what I understand, if any of the defendants in these lawsuits brought by the RIAA could have proved they bought all of the music found on their computer, they would have been cleared of any wrongdoing.

I rip all the CDs I buy. Of course, I also download MP3s with the full understanding that its stealing.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:33 PM

I'm not touching this one.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:45 PM

No excuses

<font color="green">I actively download mp3s, but In my case I don't see it as stealing. Before I had the ability to download music I literally never purchased CDs. I was just tired of buying entire albums with one good song along with a bunch of filler. Now that I can download music I am able to preview entire CDs </font>

You can go to many stores and preview legally. Stealing a small amount to justify a potential purchase of a larger amount is rationalizing. Besides, are you saying you spend more on CDs now than you do on stealing MP3s? Do you delete the MP3s afterwards, like a "good" boy?

Stealing is stealing is stealing. I'm not a saint and neither are most people. But just because you don't "see" it as stealing doesn't make it so.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Besides, are you saying you spend more on CDs now than you do on stealing MP3s?

[/ QUOTE ]

In my opinion I haven't stolen enything because all the music I have I purchase. So yes, I suppose I do spend more on CDs than I do on stealing mp3s. If the music isn't any good then I get rid of it. If it is, then I go out and buy the CD.