Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2005, 11:09 PM

Default Re: Maybe this is an interesting hand???

Why check-raise the turn? I'd probably bet the turn and fold to a raise. He'd have to be out of his mind to raise you on the turn with a hand weaker than AQ, considering the bet and call on the flop.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:09 PM

That's solid advice, but this is a freezeout, and my stack couldn't take the hit. I think I got into SnG mentality with my flop raise, but if I potted it and then he pushed, where am I? I'd definitely have to call that. This felt like an extraction bet.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:13 PM

Pot-to-stack ratio. I raised too much preflop, then made my hand. How's this a worse board HU than AT7?

If I was weak-tight before, how did I play this wrong? I'm not being sarcastic, I clearly made a mistake, and I'm not sure where.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why check-raise the turn? I'd probably bet the turn and fold to a raise. He'd have to be out of his mind to raise you on the turn with a hand weaker than AQ, considering the bet and call on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. A half sized pot bet will take you down to about 500, there's no way I can fold when I only have to call 500 more.

2. You're letting bluffs off just as easily by leading the turn than reraising the flop. Whats your reasoning for waiting till the turn to pop, if you're leading the turn?
Old 07-24-2005, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2. You're letting bluffs off just as easily by leading the turn than reraising the flop. Whats your reasoning for waiting till the turn to pop, if you're leading the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Where I had a problem was not knowing which cards were "safe" on the turn. If I catch a queen, did he just hit his gutshot? Seems like an 8-9 would be his most likely cards to make aces-up, but that's only when I'm ahead on the flop.

I think he had a much better hand for that flop and mistakenly let me off the hook by raising.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:24 PM

Hmmm yea I didn't realize that about your stack size - his raise puts you in a tough position. Considering the circumstances I don't think a fold is out of the question, though I think there are normally better options. Considering you have plenty of chips left if you fold its easy to wait for a better position if you are confident that you can outplay the other players.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:29 PM

I managed to do that for a while, but of course the hand that takes me down was AQo catching top pair... I posted it in earlier in this thread. Starting to see that OOP it's a really goddamn bad hand to play.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:20 AM

i'm confused now. This is a different situation entirely.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:45 AM

It isn't because I took the harder line on this one, instead of the softer, escapable line I took on the first hand. This is the 2nd time same tourny I ended up in a sticky spot with AQo OOP. Was my raise PF bad or the push?

Villain played every hand same post flop, he either pushed if he had a piece or checked behind. I was attempting to avoid confrontation by pushing, since he had very loose opening standards.

Looked like the same spot to me, I just played it hard. Is it an instafold PF against a loose raiser who's been showing to get very lucky in the 50 hands I've played with him?