Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 10:21 AM

Default Re: How many mistakes in 100/hands?

I have read some of the replies.

What I think is an interesting direction to take is this. You could make a "correct" play with very thin +EV that will lead you into making "big" mistakes on later streets.

A good example that I see routinely in these forums, is defending/stealing blinds with very marginal hands. People see a list of hands that someone is using to steal against tight players and defend against loose stealers. Say they identify the situation correctly PF. Well now they have made a "correct" play, where if they play "well" post flop should show a small profit.

The problem is, they then end up in a very marginal post flop situation, where they make frequent mistakes. Which means that their pre flop play that had the potential to show a small profit is actually a negative proposition for them.

The other place I see this a bit is on the flop. I can't think of a situation off hand, but there are a few times when raising the flop might make the hand easier to play, but comes at the expense of giving up the chance to extract a little more value on the turn.

On the other hand I don't know of anyother way to get "good" at handling marginal situations, other than to play a bunch of them.

So my answer would be, I probably make more mistakes for every 100 hands that I VPIP than I would care to admit. However, I am not made to pay for all those mistakes. Sometimes I may make a mistake in the form of a loose call on the flop and end up in a wonderful situation on the turn and a bunch of other situations.