Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 03:46 AM

Default Re: Soloman\'s Formula (from HOH Volume 2)

[ QUOTE ]
Now read a couple pages later why Barry says using 47 unseen cards shows a fundamental misunderstanding of poker. He has nearly an entire page on why using 45 outs is correct even if you don't know the precise 2 cards your foe has.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the idea is that you can put your opponent on a range hands, so his cards are not exactly unknown anymore. On the other hand what does this mean for a multiway pot with 3 opponents....41 outs?

Besides that I am not really sure if you can put guys like Gus Hansen on a hand.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:47 AM

Edit: range *of* hands
Old 07-25-2005, 09:47 AM

Could you explain the "rule of four" and the "rule of three"?

Thanks,

-ptmusic
Old 07-25-2005, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks,

-ptmusic

[/ QUOTE ]

Rule of 4: with two cards to come, take the number of outs you have and multiply by 4. This gives you an approximation of the percentage of the time youll hit your hand by the river.

I don't know what he's referring to by "rule of three", but i'm guessing he's referring to Solomon's rule, which the OP described and is calculated by (4x)-(x-8), and is more accurate for larger numbers of outs.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks,

-ptmusic

[/ QUOTE ]

Rule of 4: with two cards to come, take the number of outs you have and multiply by 4. This gives you an approximation of the percentage of the time youll hit your hand by the river.

I don't know what he's referring to by "rule of three", but i'm guessing he's referring to Solomon's rule, which the OP described and is calculated by (4x)-(x-8), and is more accurate for larger numbers of outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

From my original post in this thread:

"Second, it's easier to use the rule of 4 until 11 outs, then the rule of 3 until 19 outs. So, 12 outs would be 47%, 13 outs 50%, 14 outs 53% until you hit 68% for 19 outs. Using this method, you will never be more than 1.2% wrong (5 outs at 21.2%)."
Old 07-25-2005, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

From my original post in this thread:

"Second, it's easier to use the rule of 4 until 11 outs, then the rule of 3 until 19 outs. So, 12 outs would be 47%, 13 outs 50%, 14 outs 53% until you hit 68% for 19 outs. Using this method, you will never be more than 1.2% wrong (5 outs at 21.2%)."

[/ QUOTE ]

OK - most people would have followed a paragraph saying "no that's not what I was referring to as the rule of three" with "here's what the rule of three is", but you do it your way and that's cool.

So there, PT, it wasn't solomon's rule he was referring to (that would give you 47% for 13 outs, not 50%), so I don't know what the rule of three is.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
then subtract the excess of the outs above 8 to get

it is the (15-8) portion i dont understand.
Is it always -8?

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me you are kidding... or that you're just learning English as a second language

[/ QUOTE ]

Please stop taking low blows at people until you learn that riding streaks in craps is pointless.