Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 10:07 PM

Default Re: What does it mean when your opponent calls/raises PREFLOP?

I'm with Bodi not very many lower limit players will fold to a raise when they have already called. Therefore limp get lots of callers hopefully someone will raise more callers and when it comes to you reraise more callers. By this stage you have 5 or 6 players each with 3 bets in the pot. Now what you really want is for the original raiser to cap and here we go again. All of a sudden you nail your hand on the flop and win 100BB

It is a bit of an exageration but this is why I believe most players do it.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I limp in the CO with 22 after 6 players limp, the Button raises, the blinds call and the limpers call. I reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd prefer to do it with a suited connector, but you got it. The reason is that you want a lot of bets going in the pot if you make your set, and if you cap people are going to be more passive and check to you. That's what you want with suited connectors, but not with a set. The hand I had in mind was 76s. 4 people limp, and you limp on the button. The BB raises, everyone calls around to you, it would now be correct to reraise.

The reason we're doing this is both to build a bigger pot but also to take control of the hand. Players at the lowest limits are going to check to whoever put the last bet in, so this lets us do whatever we'd like with the flop and with a pot this large, we're profitably drawing to nearly anything thanks to the dead money.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:23 PM

usually that they suck/are on tilt. good players dont do this but once in a million.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason is that you want a lot of bets going in the pot if you make your set, and if you cap people are going to be more passive and check to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I'm not sure I can make 9 players check-call me just by limp-reraising, but if I knew that's what would happen I would do it every chance I got. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

For me it's all about the set. We're an 8-1 shot to make a monster that no one sees coming.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:40 PM

Either way it's never going to happen [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I've logged a couple billion hands and have never limp re-raised. It's the infamous "folding aces preflop" situation all over again. Side bet : Between me and you, first to find a legitimate LRR gets $20.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:56 PM

I don't think that bet is +EV for me ;-)
Old 07-20-2005, 11:14 PM

I have made this move on rare occasions. If I find the table I am sitting at to be generally tight and passive, my early position preflop raises are getting a ton of respect, and I have AA, KK, or AKs UTG, I will limp, with the intention of reraising any raise.

Basicially, if I feel there is more than a 50% chance my UTG raise will be folded around completely, and I have a big hand, I will play for a limp reraise, but again, it is a very rare move. I think I've done it about twice in the past 4k hands.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:18 PM

Your preflop raises get respect? Huh? Dude, this is micros. When I get dealt AA KK or AKs UTG I expect, nay, DEMAND to be outdrawn by J3o.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:02 AM

Default Re: What does it mean when your opponent limp/reraises PREFLOP?

The "correct" way (if there is one) to use a LRR in NL, is as a play, usually in EP (especially UTG) against an aggro table while holding AA or KK.

I NEVER use it in limit. In Micros, do the ultimate deception play...actually RAISE your AA and KK. There are WAY too many PP .50/1 fish who limp PF (and play passively postflop on non-scary boards!) with these hands, either because they're "being tricky", or because they have convinced themselves that those hands should win 100% of the time you get them, and psych themselves out when they don't win. They miss WAY too much value by not raising them PF.

FWIW, there has only been one time each w/AA and KK that I haven't raised it PF, and in both cases it was already four bets to me.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:38 AM

Here's an old post of mine re: LRRs