Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 04:56 PM

Default Re: On becoming a caddy.

I was a caddy for several summers at a private club. My course was set up so that the member paid a caddy fee to the club, the club paid my employer, and my employer paid us a set amount per round, and then we kept our tips.

At many courses the player will pay you the whole amount in cash.

No one is going to have their own caddy, but there are members who will always use the same guy. Caddies don't make enought to only caddy for one golfer.

You don't need to know how to play really, just etiquette. Try to get a few loops in with a veteran who will fill you in on all the tricks of the course/members, etc.

It's a good summer job, but you'll deal with your fair share of a-holes. Good luck.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I think I want to be a caddy. There are a couple of golf clubs around. So, I would go ask the clubs these questions, but I'm here so I might as well ask you guys.

Do they provide caddies for the golfers, or do golfers have their own caddies? If it depends, then do most golfers have their own caddy? At these casual places, do they expect the caddies to help out in their shots or would I basically be the guy who just carries the bag around giving the them the club they want.

I'm not much of a golfer, so if I would be more than just a little b!tch carrying around the bags, I would have to learn the game and what clubs do what, which I really don't want to. Hopefully the casual players just want the b!tch. But any answers would be appreciated, thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was a caddy for 5 summers and there are some pros and cons. Overall, I think the pros outweigh the cons:
Pros
a) You can show up whenever you want
b) It can be very profitable (if you can find a good club). The most I made for 18 holes was $320. After my first year, I never made less than $100 per 18.
c) You get to work outside
d) It can be fun if you like golf
e) If you get out early, you can be done at noon
f) It's all cash

Cons
a) Some people will treat you like sh*t
b) When you first start out you will be sent out with the worst and cheapest golfers.
c) You have to wake up early, and really early on weekends
d) Some days you will show up and not get out

As for getting the job, I think you may have difficulty this late in the season. At the place I worked, they only took new people at the beginning of the summer.

Most golfers just expect you to carry their bag, make sure that you don't lose their ball (this is the #1 most important thing), stay out of their way during shots, and sometimes make good conversation. However, if you want to make the big bucks, you need to be able to help players with their game. The best way to do this is getting to know the greens and memorize how every possible putt on the course breaks. Knowing how far certain holes play is also important, but not as important as the putting.

No golfers have their own caddy, but some golfer like to request the same caddy every time. But ultimately, the Caddiemaster (yes that's his title) decides which caddies go out with which golfers. At some clubs during peak hours during the summer, every group is required to have a caddy.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not much of a golfer, so if I would be more than just a little b!tch carrying around the bags, I would have to learn the game and what clubs do what, which I really don't want to.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is your attitude, caddying would probably not be a good job for you.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:02 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

I think there's only one where I live that actively uses caddies and it's very exclusive regarding membership. That said, just about anyone can get be a caddy and make decent money so long as they are willing to put in the effort (double bag, learn the course and give good advice). If you're not, you might want to find something else to do.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:02 PM

Thanks asb and slickpoppa for really good answers.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not much of a golfer, so if I would be more than just a little b!tch carrying around the bags, I would have to learn the game and what clubs do what, which I really don't want to. [ QUOTE ]

If this is your attitude, caddying would probably not be a good job for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I see your point. I was talking more about having to learn the game before I ever got out there and starting to make money, but as I do it more I would want to learn more about it.

Both of you guys were talking about private clubs, should I look into those instead of public country clubs?
Old 07-20-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
learn the course and give good advice

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah thats the only part I'm worried about. Like I said, I don't know much at all right now, so I would be a crappy caddy if they were looking for advice, which is why I am hoping, at the start at least, they play their game and I just carry the stuff.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Both of you guys were talking about private clubs, should I look into those instead of public country clubs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the people are more likely to be assholes, but they will have a lot of money. And where I'm from, there arent any public courses that have caddies.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the people are more likely to be assholes, but they will have a lot of money. And where I'm from, there arent any public courses that have caddies.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a few high end public courses around me who have caddies, but most are private courses.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:12 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
learn the course and give good advice

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah thats the only part I'm worried about. Like I said, I don't know much at all right now, so I would be a crappy caddy if they were looking for advice, which is why I am hoping, at the start at least, they play their game and I just carry the stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]
Honestly, you don't have to know a ton about golf in order to offer a bit of help. Just pay attention to what you see. What has worked for other players you've caddied for in the past, what hasn't, that sort of thing.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:15 PM

Where do you live, tworooks?
Old 07-20-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Does not compute.