Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Could he have quads?

If you don't go broke this hand, you really suck at poker
Old 07-20-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you always a bright ray of sunshine like this, or is today some kind of special day for you?
Old 07-20-2005, 04:39 PM

u flopped an underfull to quads, it happens. odds r that this won't happen and if someone flops trips or flops quads, they r gonna generally play it similarly. slow down a little and try to extract. this same thinking is gonna lead u to folds KK preflop cause u think a guy has AA.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not give people a chance to make a second best hand they will pay off with?

[/ QUOTE ]

there are no second best hands to improve to that will give you action here. he can check the flop through and hope the turn will give some a straight or flush draw that we can squeeze money from but against the field i'd rather get the money in versus a probable K. you can build a bigger pot versus Kx than you can versus some backdoor draw. also middle pocket pairs call a bet on the flop a good percentage of the time and see what you do on the turn. for what it's worth, i bet around 3.5 on that flop instead of 5.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify and avoid further flaming, I don't think there is a situation here where I don't call. I'm not worried about quads (or AA over KK for that matter), but I thought it was interesting if there is a situation where you could possibly put a man on quads and get away from it...mostly because I can't think of a spot like that.

In response to my betting, I am still going to bet this thing hard for two reasons: (1) any Kx suited is going to call large bets thinking they have the best hand and will likely raise to help getting the money in when I know I am best and (2) I want to get my money in when I know I have the best hand rather than wait until a scare card like an A or Q comes out. If either of those cards comes out, I probably have to slow down. Not fold, but definitely start to think a little.

I think the bottom line is that a guy with AK or KQ here is not going to feel much better or worse about hand if he has trips or a full house. Chances are unless he is way too weak-tight, he's going all the way with this one, so I might as well bet it out to the max.

Can any of you find a way to get away from this hand with pot sized bets on flop, turn, and river if you hold AK or KQ assuming the other board cards are lower than a T? And if you had either of those two hands and someone bets, aren't you raising back most of the time?
Old 07-20-2005, 05:06 PM

so in otherwords, if you turned the 4, there is a chance you lay down quad 4s on the river?
Old 07-20-2005, 05:14 PM

I'd have to weigh the pot odds, but yah, I'm usually thinking a fold is the right play here. I'm probably beat if I see any aggression.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:46 PM

OK, let's look at this from an EV standpoint. On the river, you have to risk $6 to win approx. $50.
Odds of him flopping quads against your flopped full house are approx: A Bajillon:1
Therefore the EV of this call is: Bajillon*(+50)+1*(-6)
EV= +49.999.994 Bajillon Dollars

Point being, folding your flopped boat for fear of his flopped quads for the extra 6 bucks is just about as ridiculous as the above equation. You should either A) go broke every time this happens, or B) Quit no-limit.

I'm going broke every time this happens-
Old 07-20-2005, 05:48 PM

You forgot to divide by a Bajillion...
Old 07-21-2005, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so in otherwords, if you turned the 4, there is a chance you lay down quad 4s on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I'd have to weigh the pot odds, but yah, I'm usually thinking a fold is the right play here. I'm probably beat if I see any aggression.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the best thing I've ever read. Post of my lifetime.