Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 10:04 AM

Default Re: 99 UTG against a PFR

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Normally I pre-flop raise this. Check the flop and see what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I haven't tinkered with preflop in a while so it's good to revisit. Do you guys raise this preflop UTG at loose tables as well as tight ones? My boring default cutoff has been tens which is close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even at a loose table, 99 has value against the range of cold-calling hands.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:13 AM

I raise 99 utg like 99% of the time pf.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:15 AM

I like a check raise here. Too many hands that pfr could hold that you are ahead of. Also it would be nice to get utg1 out of the pot.

I think we have the best hand here.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:19 AM

Doesn't seem to be much dissent on the flop either. I check-raise and betting the turn blank is obvious after I don't get 3-bet. Last question is about our river action.

I'm going to hit the gym for a couple hours so I thought I'd go ahead and post the rest of the action, but feel free to comment on all streets.

Paradise Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (8.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero ...
Old 07-20-2005, 11:05 AM

That river card sucks.

Not sure what his raising standards are, but lets say he will raise 88+, AK, AQ, AJ, ATs.

I don't think he has a pair higher than JJ from the way he played it. So, he has us beat with JJ, TT, AK, AQ. We have him beat with 88, AJ, ATs.

Its close, I think I may check/call. But bet fold may be best. Not sure yet.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:11 AM

I think check/call is the best line on the river. If you bet, better hands will call or raise while weaker hands will fold. With check/calling, you still have a chance to win if he does bet, and you still may get a free SD if he checks behind.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:15 AM

...checks, with the intention of checkraising to knock out at least one player.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:11 PM

Ouch!

Check-folding is weak, right?
Well, then I go with bet, and fold to a raise... You are ahead of very few hands here, and your opponent might decide to check those (like AJ) because he might think you're afraid he's got the K but will call with a Q. But there might be a tiiiiiiiny little chance he's going to fold a hand like TT with two overs on the table...
Old 07-20-2005, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check-folding is weak, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Having made it to the river, I don't think I can check/fold, so in my mind bet/fold, bet/call, and check/call were the viable options.

I checked planning to call one figuring that there's darn little I'm ahead of here and that I couldn't induce a worse hand to fold or a better hand to call. Something like JJ/TT could easily check it through, but I doubt they'd fold. At best I pick off a bluff here. (I think this is the OOP version of a crying call...) I do wonder if this is overly passive though.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:35 PM

Grunching.
Ok, I am a weak pansy (AF 1.84) and trying to work on it, so I need some clarification here as well as some of my thoughts:
Preflop: raise, needs to be your standard play with 99
Postflop: here is where I don't quite understand. Why again are we check raising? There is an over to our pair, there are a range of raisable hands that beat us here (TT-AA, KQ, AQ, QJ), and if the guy has a queen, he isn't going anywhere, so my question is, what does the check raise do for you? Again, not saying it is wrong, just trying to become more agressive.
Turn- Since I would have check folded the flop, I can't offer any advice other than the way you played it lead the turn
River- SUCKS! You are probably beaten, and I would check call for him to show my his victor, assuming he didn't have you beat all along.