Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 07:18 PM

Default Re: ESPN WSOP Coverage

Who cares? TILT ENCORE IS ON TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-19-2005, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wonderful I like the way they show the first few events out of order, in order to show the RIO events FIRST. This doesn't surprise me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know these are individual tournaments, I don't see a problem with them being run out of order.

[ QUOTE ]
And ESPN draws out the ME for over 1 month. I will be so bored by that time I probably won't even watch it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Highly doubtful, and you know the ME is getting TWELVE hours of coverage. Would you rather go back to the days when you got 1 hour? ESPN needs those hours to develop the storyline, and help you become familiar with the players at the final tables. You should be happy to see 12 hours of a poker tournament. And there's this little thing called ratings, which ESPN would like to recieve for airing these programs.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why you can't just push the footage back to 2006?

[/ QUOTE ]
You may get your wish next year, since the ME will probably start at the Rio mid-August, factor in the 12 WSOP Circuit events, if they decide to run those all at once, the various prelim events, and the ME may actually start airing late November.

Kevin...
Old 07-19-2005, 07:30 PM

Don't the prelim event determine some of the people who play in the tournament of champions?? I tohught I saw that somewhere.

Ken
Old 07-19-2005, 07:32 PM

The top 20 in overall events at each Circuit tournament and the final table of the WSOP ME are in the Tournament of Champions. The talk I've read elsewhere is this event will be held early September.

Kevin...
Old 07-20-2005, 12:56 PM

As long as they continue to not realize how important it is to show th POT SIZE during a hand I'm happy.

Total sarcasm.

Why haven't these CLOWNS figured out how to either display the pot size or SAY WHAT THE POT SIZE IS instead of talking about ex-wives and shirts?

ESPN is a total joke. All we do is see people toss chips into the center of the table, another card flips, and the percentages of their hand change? Niiiiice.

I'm sure this works for the new-newbies, but I'd really prefer to know what is at stake in each and every pot.

That way I could UNDERSTAND why that Jean-Robere guy was asking "Why would you raise to 24K?". As it stands, I have no idea if he means it's a LARGE raise or a SMALL raise.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:23 PM

Dude, pot size, chip count, blinds and antes, all that don't matter. What matters is the AMAZING TURNS OF FORTUNE and TRIUMPHANT SUCKOUTS that happen on each turn of the card!

Oh, and celebrity promotion.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, pot size, chip count, blinds and antes, all that don't matter. What matters is the AMAZING TURNS OF FORTUNE and TRIUMPHANT SUCKOUTS that happen on each turn of the card!

Oh, and celebrity promotion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know..I know..which is why I wasn't surprised when they spotlighted Rene Angelil (better known as Celine Dion's husband).

ESPN thinks poker players are wreckless gamblers who hope to get lucky at the right time. They really don't seem to understand how complex it is.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That way I could UNDERSTAND why that Jean-Robere guy was asking "Why would you raise to 24K?". As it stands, I have no idea if he means it's a LARGE raise or a SMALL raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Before that hand they said blinds were 3k/6k. He bet 4x the big blind.

They also show the pot size at the top of the screen quite often.

Sure, it could be tons better, but it's still entertaining for me. This was much better than the US Poker Championship coverage.

Brad
Old 07-20-2005, 02:45 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Before that hand they said blinds were 3k/6k. He bet 4x the big blind.

[/ QUOTE ]
Pretty sure blinds were 6K-12K at this point. Bellande made a point that if Lee kept raising to 24K he'd call every time with any two cards.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ESPN thinks poker players are wreckless gamblers who hope to get lucky at the right time. They really don't seem to understand how complex it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt that. They know what gets ratings and what people understand about the game, so they show that stuff