Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 12:10 AM

Default Re: KQo in the BB

[ QUOTE ]
I think that's actually probably the best line. Some kind of check-call, check-call, bet river line.

[/ QUOTE ]

The pot is always going to be large on the turn. I feel like you bleed a lot of chips off this way. Hero's hand is exactly the right strength that we want to find out whether we have the best hand ASAP.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:13 AM

But you simply aren't going to find out whether or not you have the best hand. It's going to be really hard for you to figure it out as long as your opponent is tough. Best way to do that is to check-raise, but you're still not knowing where you are if Villain calls that check-raise and doesn't put in a raise.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But you simply aren't going to find out whether or not you have the best hand. It's going to be really hard for you to figure it out as long as your opponent is tough. Best way to do that is to check-raise, but you're still not knowing where you are if Villain calls that check-raise and doesn't put in a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the advantage to c/ring the flop is that I likely buy a free river. If I c/r the flop, the turn goes check/check (or check/he bets/i fold), and then I blocking bet the river I think I extract the most with the best hand (against a QJ type hand) and lose the least to a better hand.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:46 AM

I'm surprised that nobody asked what your read was of the villain. Obviously that greatly affects the play of the hand (which I am just as baffled about as everyone else BTW). Hard to know where you stand.

Against typical opponents, I C/R this flop. This gets more money into the pot when I'm ahead and lets me know sooner where I stand. It's tough if villain flat calls the C/R though, but that's the way I play against a typical opponent who will bet when checked to.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised that nobody asked what your read was of the villain. Obviously that greatly affects the play of the hand (which I am just as baffled about as everyone else BTW). Hard to know where you stand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel pretty dumb because I wasn't paying attention because I was posting the other thread and playing 3 tables and the blinds go up faster in Stars turbos than Party.

For the sake of this discussion I went back and looked at the HH... this was the 14th hand of the SnG.

Villian folds hands 1-3.
Hand 4 Villian limps for 20 chips. Calls a flop bet on a A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] board, calls a turn bet 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], leads the river when checked to 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] river, he shows K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hand 5 fold.
Hand 6 limp/fold to heavy action.
Hand 7 limp, call small bets on a Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] board, he shows A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and loses to trip queens
Hand 8 fold
Hand 9 (BB) check option fold flop
Hand 10 (SB) complete/fold
Hand 11 Makes a 6x BB over a UTG limper, all fold
Hand 12 & 13 fold
Old 07-19-2005, 01:10 AM

The more I look at the hand, I think that chances of you being ahead are very slim. I really hate playing this hand OOP, for that reason I think it's more important to C/R the flop.

Once he calls that turn, I'm checking the river.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Once he calls that turn, I'm checking the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet the river because my hand has showdown value and I can't call a river bet much larger than that. If he waits until the river to raise me I am definitely beat.

I'll post results tomorrow.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:59 AM

Default RESULTS

He called the river; he had AQo and HHIG. I almost typed into the chat "nice limp with AQo" but decided against it.

I think c/ring this flop makes this hand much easier to play.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:48 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: RESULTS

I figured him for 10/J actually on the turn, which is another nice limping hand.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:58 AM

Why does everyone want to C/R a drawless flop.
You can do that with any two cards...