Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who will win the AL East division?
Baltimore Orioles 9 8.82%
Toronto Blue Jays 6 5.88%
New York Yankees 28 27.45%
Tampa Bay Devil Rays 10 9.80%
Boston Red Sox 49 48.04%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2005, 02:41 PM

Default Re: EP suited connectors questions (6max)

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I'm missing something here but IMO folding SC's UTG in a 6max NL game is totally weak. NOT calling stardard raises (unless HU OOP) is totally weak.

I'm no Doyle but I'll play suited connectors down to 6 7 in almost any situation so I can stack someone who falls in love with their overpair. If I call a 4xBB raise w/ 67s so what? If I hit big I can take someone's entire stack. If I miss, I fold and I've lost 4BB's. It's not like I'm gonna love the flop if I hit just one pair.

I'm not flaming here but anyone who folds these hands so easily has got to loosen up more in SH play.

Now feel free to completely debunk everything I just said [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

HEK

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you realize how often you are dealt suited-connectors. Calling raises with them every time would certainly be -EV.

Playing a suited connector below JT from UTG at 6-max is, IMO, very loose.

If it works for you, good job.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:48 PM

limp or raise when stacks are deep enough
limp if the table is loose passive
limp or raise some of the time if you've been playing very tight versus perceptive opponents over a lot of hands
Old 07-20-2005, 03:44 PM

Open limping these hands often is just a bad idea. Unless you take the lead in the hand or have position you will often have no idea where you stand. In aggressive games you will also get run over when you miss the flop, which happens most of the time.

Most times I am with you and open raise to add a little deception to my game but I prefer to wait for suited big cards than connectors. TP is a big enough hand in a 6-m game and at least with overcards you can be drawing to some outs.

When I do open limp, it is only when stacks are deep enough that it would be the same as open raising, or in a loose passive game. I protect open limps by ocassionally limping QK JA and ocassionally pairs in a loose game so that they don't iso-raise your junk (a move you see a lot in 6-m)
Old 07-20-2005, 04:18 PM

I raise. I'm also raising 22, KQ, and AT here too against typical competition in 1-2 6-max on pokerstars.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Playing a suited connector below JT from UTG at 6-max is, IMO, very loose.

[/ QUOTE ]

From your post it sounds like you equate loose to bad.

There are many ways to win in this game. A good loose player stands to win a lot. But he'd better be good.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:31 PM

there are some opponents and situations where one can profitably call JTs in or out of position. these situations require accurate modelling of your opponents' post flop tendencies and doing this well can help increase winrate by taking pots from people who fail to put you on the proper handrange. of course we can always just play abc poker and win 7bb/100. unfortunately, that's boring as hell.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:12 PM

The real problem here is that the implied odds aren't that good. The guy raising, especially in six max, doesn't need a big pair to raise, so he's not all that committed. He might have AK, or maybe only ATo or 66 or crap like that. Now the flop comes J92 and you make the best hand with your T9s, but when you check and he bets, you fold. Or maybe the flop is 99K. You bet, the other guy folds away a hand is knows is no good and you don't get paid off. The real problem is not playing them, it's just that you're stuck in that you assume he's got good cards and to find out if he really does have a big hand is going to be expensive for you.

If you knew every time that he had AA or KK and wasn't going to get pushed off it, then yah, I'd take a standard raise and look to hit it big. But that's not nearly the case. Even QQ can easily be pushed off a flop of A67 when you hit two little pair.

With suited connectors, you need a bunch of people in the pot mainly so that you can feel better someone will pay you off. Against one raiser, it's a long shot.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:19 PM

you don't flop a big hand often enough.

most of the time you flop a draw and you are forced to pay heavily for it.

the times that you flop the 2pair+, he might not have over pair.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:08 AM

Default Are suited connectors even worth it?

Are suited connectors even worth it?

As another poster pointed out, most of the time with suited connectors you pick up something like an OESD or flush draw that you're rarely getting the proper pot odds for. To me, suited connectors have more value at tables against good opponents, because you can semibluff very aggressively. At the low stakes tables, it's very difficult to force people off hands.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:23 AM

Default Re: Are suited connectors even worth it?

Correct, as well as FULL tables and not 6-max.

Full table late position is obviously the optimal time to play SC's.

Not UTG at 6-max. Unless it's broadway.