Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 01:51 PM

Default Re: 5\'s vs 10\'s

Mosdef, there was a post about a month ago buy a new poster. It was a link to a website showing the average number of players left on each buy-in at each blinds level. Also the average length of an SNG for each buy-in. Can't find the post, but it was very interesting.

There was almost no difference in any of these categories between the 5s and 10s.

I'm sure that some other people would remember this post and possibly have the website.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:57 PM

don't bother looking for the link. i believe you. i was just curious as to whether anyone really checked.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:58 PM

Here is the website that I was referring to:

http://wooleyrhino.net/pi/test

Again, this was not my find, it was brought up by a poster named "awr000". Very interesting stuff.

Actually, after looking at the results, I have to admit that there is a difference, but the play is terrible on both levels.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is the website that I was referring to:

http://wooleyrhino.net/pi/test

Again, this was not my find, it was brought up by a poster named "awr000". Very interesting stuff.

Actually, after looking at the results, I have to admit that there is a difference, but the play is terrible on both levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is about what i thought we would see. it's also why i think that the "no difference at all" statement is misleading.

I think the hidden message behind this may be "there is no recognizable difference between the optimal strategy at the 5+1s and the optimal strategy at the 10+1s", meaning that your opponents will hang themselves more quickly against each other at the 5+1s, but that shouldn't change the way you play. comments?
Old 07-18-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When looking at the spreadsheet it gives a place to enter results for 11's, 22's, 33's and 55's.
Does this mean that it basically isn't worth it to start playing at the $5 level and below, and if i'm going to give it a serious shot to just start at the 11's?

[/ QUOTE ]

That was in no way meant to be a commentary on what levels you should play. We just used those as examples because a lot of people start with them. You can change the buy-in and vig for whatever level you play.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:08 PM

I thank everyone for the discussion that ensued, definately gave me something to think about.

One more question though.
Someone mentioned changing the names to suit the levels I'll be playing.
Now, if I were to change a Tab name, won't I then have to do a TON of editing to the spreadsheet to get the tab's to link properly when Referenced?

for instance, if by some odd reason i decided to do the $1+.10's that UB and Absolute run and I change the name of the 11 tab to 1.1's instead, would I not then have to change the name everywhere it's referenced, or does the spreadsheet forumla's automatically update that itself?

Just would be odd to be playing in the 1.1's or the 5.5's and using the 11's tab is all.

grouch
Old 07-18-2005, 03:10 PM

You should have no problem changing the tab names. It should all update automatically.