Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 08:52 AM

Default Re: I hate aces PP 2/4NL

I totally agree fim. Not sure what kind of stack he has behind him, but I think always folding here can be too weak. If I call, I definitely proceed with caution on the turn.

I think it's very possible he's testing your continuation bet. I'm not sure what kind of read you have on him, but I wouldn't rule out AK, KQ, or KJ necessarily.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:02 AM

Fim,

I think this really depends on the guy who checkraised you. If you think he is the type to put you to the test, you may want to push. Will he checkraise you with a pure draw or does he need to have a piece of the flop and a decent draw with it to make a move like that? Against an unknown, I may play back at him, but that could get ugly for you fast. IF you do fold, hopefully you get a chance to get in a hand with this guy where you do you play the mortal nuts like this and take a nice piece of change off him. I will say that I do hate folding like this because I feel like it encourages guys to take shots at me. I feel like this is probably a leak I need to fix but I think this hand is a little more complicated than people are giving it credit for
Old 07-18-2005, 09:31 AM

I read in another thread, that mini-raising on the flop does not automatically say "I have at least a set and want to milk you" as much as it does on later streets.

So maybe a call is ok, but it is very read-dependent and the rest of the hand does not get any easier without an ace hitting. Maybe a 1/2-3/4 pot bet on turn and fold to a raise, and check/call a small bet on the river.

(first reply in here, don't flame me too much =))
Old 07-18-2005, 09:31 AM

No reads? And is this 6-max or full?
Old 07-18-2005, 09:58 AM

FWIW, I think this is the worst possible stack size to have when in this situation. Even w/ $500 as starting amount, I could see a flop call and take it from there. And if starting stack was less, I'd just get it in there and pray.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:01 PM

I disagree with people who said this is a push-or-fold situation. I think this is a call-or-fold situation. I do agree that once you decide to continue in this hand, you're basically playing for your stack. So you have to make the decision now whether you think he has you beat or not. If you think he has you beat now, you fold, but if you think he 's testing you with something like AK or QQ, then you call, and let him bet at you again on the turn. (and a bet on the turn is probably all-in for you)

Calling is superior to pushing because if you're behind (if he has like JQ, 99, or TT) you'll lose the same amount whether you push or call. But calling wins you more if you're ahead. Like what fimbulwinter told me before; what EV mistake are you hoping to force him to make by raising? Maybe I'm applying this in a wrong situation. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:08 PM

If he is testing with AK, what makes you think he'll bet the turn aswell if called? I agree calling might get you more value when your ahead, but not this way. If he checks the turn (as he should if he is testing), check behind and call/ value bet river. Of course, in case he is some kind of semi-bluff, he is allowed to draw the turn for free.

As I said, I fold this without a read.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:21 PM

Of course we don't really have enough info here, but no one likes to be in this spot it sucks. Two callers bloated the pot and now it looks like you have a commitment decision on the flop (ugh).

I think it really comes down to what the texture of the game is at the moment in relation to your image. Have you been raising a lot PF as usual? Have you been typically potting the flop and taking it down? Has villian been around long enough to notice. etc etc. Basically all the questions that will point you in the direction of whether he will be likely to be making a move here or overvaluing something like TPGK vs whether he has been waiting for something to nail you with. If you decide your ahead of the range I think calling and seeing the turn is the move to get the most out of him when your ahead unless you have been frustrating him so badly that he is liable to call you with something like KQ here. He can't have too many outs if you are currently ahead most likely 5, 8 if he has and OESD which is probably less likely.

Do we have any of that at decision time here?
Old 07-18-2005, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I get check-minraised, i just fold everything but the mortal nuts the first time or two

this seems awfully reasonable and not very exploitable

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP
Old 07-18-2005, 05:55 PM

This is why I never raise UTG.
Colour me yellow.

Best wishes !