Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2005, 02:37 AM

Default Re: Newbie Games - I cant seem to win!

We play stakes a bit higher than yours, so this may not work as well for you, but I second what the other poster said about just making larger than normal raises to really force people out.

I find that the average fish at our games, facing a pot-sized bet or so, just hears in their mind "blah blah some amount of chips" while they're nonchalantly talking to someone else at the table or whatever (they don't even seem to realize how much it is, and just call if they have any pair/any draw). If you go all-in, though, they sit up and pay attention (and usually shoot their cards into the muck).
Old 07-17-2005, 12:21 PM

Another suggestion.

If you're in it for the quality of game play more than the money (for $5 I assume you're in it for the game), try to educate your players.

I had the same problem when I started playing in my home league (still have a couple of calling stations), but I explained how they will not win in the long run if they play like this, and some players have switched up their game quite a bit.

steve
Check out my home league: <font color="orange">North Shore Low Rollers</font>
Old 07-18-2005, 03:02 AM

with AA and KK, I don't [censored] around against the retards in my home game -- they are too dumb to realize how strong your hand is and the will stay to the river and probably crack your hand. i just go all in-- this cuts down on the # of people in the hand and will get you a small pot instead of losing a big one. also, chances are when somebody calls (which happens a hell of a lot more than you think) they are gonna have AQo, AJo, ATs, AJs, KQs, QQ's etc 'cuz the cards look real good to them... in which case you get paid off.

#1) don't bluff EVER
#2) bet small, but consistent with a high board pair: this gets them to call with junk, and minimizes losses when you get sucked out
#3) don't slowplay monsters... players at that low limit are too dumb to take advantage of your supposed 'weakness' and will check right back. just bet with the big hand as they will call down with a middle pair the whole way.
#4) don't put it past them to play ANY 2 cards... especially if they're suited
Old 07-18-2005, 03:24 AM

I can understand the problems involved playing with unskilled players. The advice you have been getting has been pretty good and I would follow it. If you keep to the premium hands you will eventually be building up your stack. Let the others share their moment of glory with a bid stack as the outdraw each other. When you get to the larger blinds and the stakes get a bit higher then you can really use your stack more effectively. All of a suddenly they realize that the blinds are getting real big and instead of having a huge stack of chips they now have a lot to risk. If and when they tighten up or don’t know what to do you get a big advantage. Now you get to play
Old 07-18-2005, 03:32 AM

lol so true, you cannot get tricky with monstrous hands against newbs. JUST calling preflop with AA-JJ is just asking for trouble!! they are unbluffable, many players watch the WPT and are like "ooohhh, one time i saw phil ivey re-raise with 84o so i'm gonna DOOO IT" so you will raise with a borderline hand (in position) with like ATo, and newbie reraises all in over the top, and you cannot possibly call a ridiculous reraise like that.

suited cards? yep...so true. down to 3 handed, blinds were getting relatively large compared to my stack so i decided to make a move with 45s (not an incredible hand, but potential!) i'm on the button and make it 4bb's to go, SB looks at his cards and calls (OOPS!) BB folds, flop is: 953
all clubs. sb bets out half the pot, i'm getting pretty good odds on my money that 2nd pair is good, or he is 4 to the flush, or maybe a gutshot or open ender..i think i think, i push em all in..he HAS to call...he calls, he rolls over Jc2c for the flopped flush and grins like "haha i owned you." sooooo annoying.

*edit* my stack preflop was around 12 BB's, on the flop i was left over with 8, with a pot that had 9 BB's. (my 4, SB's 4, and BB's 1)