Two Plus Two Older Archives

Old 07-14-2005, 05:22 PM
Phishy McFish Phishy McFish is offline
Senior Member

Default OR.....Your wife comes home

And you realize you haven't done the "honey-do list" that you PROMISED to have done......and are on your laptop and are on the river of a PLO hand with a $400 pot, you have the nut flush draw and are required to call a 40 bet to see the river on an unpaired board........so you try to close the laptop enough as to not show you are playing poker and neglecting your share of the home duties but to still allow the hand to continue. You unfortunately disconnect as the laptop hibernates, the 3rd [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] comes, you make your flush and have min. $450 coming with no calls on the riv.......but the screen isn't updating......maybe if it checks around you still win.........checking hand histotry............@*&#^@*(&#^@*(#&^( @#&*^ [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] HERO bets X mucks Ace high flush loses X.....LUCKY ASS VILLIAN shows K high flush and wins 3X NET 2X.

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

What I wouldn't have given for the protection.......like a 16 year old a month after prom when the phone rings and his girlfriend is late.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:28 PM
Artsemis Artsemis is offline
Member

Default Solution?

Dont 'refill' DP's so often. Many sites are a week tops before you get your DP's back. It should be something more along the lines of 3 / month or even 10 / year. If you get disconnected more than that, im sorry, but you shouldn't be playing cash games online.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:00 PM
iceman5 iceman5 is offline
Member

Default Re: Disconnect-Protection should not exist

[ QUOTE ]
When you disconnect, you are treated as all-in. You can't win any additional bets that go in, but it gets rid of reverse implied odds.

As to the question posed by the OP, I can count on one hand the number of times I've see someone disconnect. Unfortunatly I play on a dial-up link part the time. Disconnect portection has saved me numerous times.

WiteKnite

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you dont play NL at Party very often because I see it all the time. Its amazing how when they disconnect and are faced with big bet or raise, they almost always have a flush draw. Its amazing how these guys who always claim to be on dialup and its not their fualt...never have a set when they disconnect. I wonder why that is.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:21 PM
StellarWind StellarWind is offline
Senior Member

[ QUOTE ]
Far more money is won by cheaters who abuse this than is saved by honest players. Discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's important to distinguish between limit and no-limit. Abuse at limit is almost a non-problem in my experience but the protection offered is very valuable.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:36 PM
TheNoodleMan TheNoodleMan is offline
Senior Member

Location: Bloomington , IN

you guys are making it out to be a much bigger problem than it really is. Yes, it is abused sometimes, but when it is, just notify support. You may or may not get the money back, but you will definitely have their account flagged and they won't be able to do it again.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:42 PM
Freudian Freudian is offline
Junior Member

I can see how it is a big problem in NL. In limit I don't particularly mind it.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:42 PM
otctrader otctrader is offline
Junior Member

It should be eliminated UNLESS the sites choose to police it which they don't. While Party will look into it and revoke DP's in a case of flagrant abuse, it's just a slap on the wrist to a guy who saved several hundred bucks by avoiding a showdown. They should have policies which include mandatory pot forfeiture and/or punitive damages if abused. At least threaten this for pattern abusers - they would think twice.

Otherwise do away all together, and in lieu of DP's people should be issued a quota of extended timeouts to get a backup connection fired up (I personally think playing high limits without redundant DSL/Cable or at least dialup is suicide). This won't happen of course since the sites only care about maximum rake generation. My 2c
Old 07-16-2005, 05:12 PM
Shoe Shoe is offline
Member

Location: Mil-town

There are sites out there (paradise i think is one), that do not have any disconnect protection on any of their tables.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:13 PM
Nietzsche Nietzsche is offline
Senior Member

That statement is true. And Party does too little to strike down on those who abuse it again and again.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:47 AM
Maddenboy Maddenboy is offline
Junior Member

E-mail reply from Party about a guy who abused DP against me in 15/30 limit. Flush draw, of course. I won the hand, so I didnt request my money back.

I told PP not only what happened, but that i wanted to know SPECIFICALLY what, if anything, they did about it.

Subject: Disconnect Protection Investigation Report

> Dear [player],
>
> We appreciate you taking the time to report situations of alleged disconnect protection abuse at
PartyPoker.com.

> Starting with the hand histories (or hand #s) that you sent to us, we performed an investigation
that would allow us to examine thoroughly the account in question: "[nickname]".

> We have looked into the players records and collected all previous hands in which this player
used the protection. Our goal was to look for a pattern where the player usually disconnects in key
moments.

> Some of the parameters we use when investigating possible protection abuse:
> o The player's cards at the time of disconnection.
> o The player's previous action (whether he was betting/raising) and also the actions of the
other players at the time of disconnection.
> o The benefit obtained by a player disconnecting.
> o The timing of disconnection.
> o A player's pattern of disconnections.
> o Previous allegations made by other players and/or the system.
>
> Using the information listed above we have investigated the history of the player thoroughly and
have found that not only was the hand you reported suspicious but this player has shown a pattern
of suspicious disconnects in the past. Based on this information we have taken away the disconnect
protection privilege for this player. In the event he is disconnected in the future his hand will
be folded. We have sent an email to the player informing him of the investigation.

> We thank you for taking the time to report your suspicions. Keeping the games honest is our
highest priority. If you need any clarifications or have any questions or concerns please feel free to
contact us. We will be more than happy to assist you.