Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 09:55 PM

Default Re: Is poker for me? Need advice on what to do

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I need Jones's book since I already know all the basics.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you already knew all the basics you'd have blown through .25-.50 and .5-1. I'm not saying that to be mean but it's true, I thought I knew the basics and couldnt become a winner. I studied and built myself up from .25-.5 at pokerroom then hit some bonuses and moved to empire. Then I quit online poker for a while due to burnout/needed money for some unexpected expenses after I had moved up and been fairly succesfful at 1-2. I rebought with 300 on May 1st and began at .5-1 again and am now already up to 3-6 with a bankroll around 2300 (was up even higher but have hit a nasty downswing), and I don't even play a whole lot of hours because I work full time and have made a resolution to try to actually get an adequate amount of sleep. And honeslty if I had never swallowed my stupid "Poker God" pride and admitted that I really knew little or nothing, I still never would've made it above 1-2, or even .5-1.

So here we go. First off, even if you think you know too much still read WLLH, how can it hurt? Either way if you don't have the discipline to read a 170 page book you definitely don't have a fraction of the discipline to win in this game. Study all you can and really make an effort and you should improve Or (and I'm not implying any kind of "guilt trip tone" here) just quit if you're not passionate about the game.

Whatever you choose best of luck,

Matt
Old 07-13-2005, 11:39 PM

Default Re: Is poker for me? Need advice on what to do

I'd say that almost all winning player read and reread poker books on a fairly regular basis. As you gain experience and then reread a book, you find things you missed or overlooked before or you reinforce things you arleady knew. Also, post some hands. Believe me, the feedback will be invaluable. If you think you know a lot about the game, you're wrong. You might have an inkling about some of the moves but your experience is still very limited and there are no doubt many ways of applying them which haven't occurred to you yet. This is an excellent forum and a great place to learn the game, if that is your intent. You have to be prepared to put the work in if you want to be a winning player.